1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Brooder Completed - How many chicks will this accomodate?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by preacher1, Apr 25, 2007.

1. preacher1

preacher1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    I have made a brooder out of a clear plastic storage bin. The dimensions are 30" Long 16" Wide at the bottow and it is 12" tall. I cut a large rectange in the lid and put 1/2" wire in its place and mounted a 250W red reflector light to the top of the wire on the out side. So far my tempature is between 90 - 95 degrees in the brooder. How many pullets will this size accomodate and for how long? I plan to buy between 8 - 12 pullets now but am also currious to how many it will handle for future purchases. Thanks.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Pullets or chicks? Pullets are young females just beginning to lay, and this box will not hold more than one! If you are talking about chicks, than you should be fine![​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well...... 8 to 12 day old pullets...will be comfortable in there for say...2 weeks, maybe 3? You will just have to wathc them, they will let you knwo when they need more room ie: pecking each other, peeping alot and just looking uncomfortable. Plan now to get another brooder set up in a few weeks. A large cardboard box...childs plastic pool...most anything will work...but remember, they "hop/fly" pretty high in a few weeks! [​IMG]

4. preacher1

preacher1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Sorry about that. New to the chicken business still trying to learn the terms. They are day old chicks. How long would you be able to keep 12 chicks in this size brooder?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I would say maybe 2 weeks at most. they grow quick, and if they dont have enough room will peck at eachother.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

OOOPS my bad, I was thinking chicks, NOT pullets! LOL

7. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm confused!?!?!? When you order chicks they call the females pullets. I thought that any female chicken under laying age is called a pullet even chicks.

8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    People generally call males & female's chicks while they are still cute little fluffy butts. It doesn't indicate sex at all. The terminology then gravitates over to the pullet/cockeral (teens) and hen/rooster(adult).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  9. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Are you sure that the red 250 W bulb is only 90-95° in the brooder?

If I sit a 250W heat lamp on top of my brooder wire, it is nearly120° underneath it.

The chicks need a place to get away from the heat, so if you are measuring 90-95° at the opposite end of the heat lamp, that is too hot.

10. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    That's a good point Carla.

I'm not terrific with dimensions, but I only needed a 100 watt for my 30 gallon aquarium and it was quite toasty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by