New brooder unit

That is awesome....I want one...

Do you happen to have details plan/instructions?

frow.gif

ETA:
How are you going to install the heat & lighting?

Last edited:
Amazing job - I am green with envy! You have definitely given me some ideas on how to improve my big brooder that I keep out in the coop. Isn't it wonderful to have a man with carpentry skills? Not that us girls can't be good carpenters - my carpentry skills are improving daily - but its really nice to have your man be willing to help out too.
wink.png

Pandora, I don't have any plans available. All framing was done with 2x4, all doors in front used 1x4. 1/2" hardware cloth, thin plywood (not sure thickness). Not counting the dividers, it used exactly 3 sheets of plywood. I think I got bought 11 each of 2x4 and 1x4, planning ahead for mistakes and extra. So far there is quite a bit leftover.

We just made it up as we went along, so don't have any real plans.
smile.png

Thechickonthehill, I'm actually not a bad carpenter, but it was definitely nice to have 2 sets of hands and 2 brains
wink.png
Plus, this thing weighs a ton, so there is no way I could even have moved it myself.

I have 37 chicks set to arrive next week, so will be finishing up the heat lamps and dividers this week.

I am working on some color projects, so will be filling it with chicks regularly. I hope to be able to rotate age groups through it and then into my big brooder shed and growout pen. Depending on the size of the hatch, I will use either 1, 2 or 3 sections at a time and can remove dividers to enlarge the space if need be as the chicks grow. I do have 37 chicks coming from Ideal in a week or two, so they will be the ones to "break it in" so to speak.

Dang girl and I thought my last brooder was big. That looks more like a breeding unit for reptiles or rabbits.
tongue.png
Good luck on those projects. This year our brooder will be a add on to the coop. No chicks in house this year.

when you get your heatlamps installed could you please post a picture, I would like to see how that goes in there.
I have a large building I am considering for a breeder/brooder setup.

Thank you in advance.....

Wow, that's awesome! I'll have to show this one to my hubby. He just built a small simple one for four chicks in our garage, and I'm so thankful to have the 7wk olds out of our house!
I sooo want to breed chickens, but can't have roos crowing around here. So for now, I just live vicariously through all you doing it here on BYC!

thanks for sharing your brooder pics!

Just now finally getting to hanging lights. Put 1 up, but didn't realize how low it would hang so will have to build a special 'cage' for the light before actually using it.

We added 'bumpers' around the edge to keep grabby paws out and to hold the shavings in.

24277_0130001859a.jpg

Stuck a pair of bantam cochins in there to test it out
wink.png

24277_0130001941.jpg

24277_0130001941a.jpg

We decided to wait on dividers for now, as I have 37 chicks on the way, so they will need a whole level anyways.

Here is a shot from inside on the 'lighted' end.

24277_0130001940a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom