NEW BROODER

Misn-1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 4, 2014
Mississippi
My 6 peeps are 3 weeks old (tomorrow) and yesterday I re-homed them from their original brooder (storage tote) to their new home in the garage. The new brooder is 3 1/2 wide x 7 feet long and 3 feet tall. I don't have the top on it for the pictures, but the top has a large cut-out with wire over it so they are totally enclosed with the top on. I put some sand and a piece of sod on one end for them to play in. Seems like they are enjoying it so far. I crumbled up some mealworms and sprinkled over the sand and grass for them to scratch and dig in. Within an hour, a couple of them were dusting in the sand too. In the last picture, it looks like Honey (Light Bramha) is smiling a little...

Jeff

That is a nice set up for them, looks like they should have fun! No wonder Honey looks happy with her new home! You know, since the new brooder is so large and high, you could put a small roost or two in there for them to play on and get used to sitting on, some chicks even that young will start to roost.

You know, since the new brooder is so large and high, you could put a small roost or two in there for them to play on and get used to sitting on, some chicks even that young will start to roost.

Exactly what I was thinking. As soon as I put the 4 x 4 blocks in there, they started climbing. I'll probably fix them a couple of roosts this coming weekend.

Jeff

Last edited:
Nice brooder! I did the same for my 6 chicks (put a piece of sod in for them and they tore it up fast!) I also put an old plastic dog bowl (large one) with sand and peat moss mixed for their dust bath and they LOVED it. The first time I watched them do it, I was enthralled! And if they could all fit, they'd try to bathe together. I also put in a small tree limb and just popped it thru both sides of the cardboard box for them to roost on. I would sit for hours on a milkcrate in the garage just watching them like I was hypnotized LOL. My family was a bit jealous of my chicken attention! By 3 weeks they could fly out so I added 2 old window screens over the top. They went into their coop at 4.5 weeks (August -- plenty warm for them) and they slept on their roost from day one! (proud mama here)
yippiechickie.gif

......I would sit for hours on a milkcrate in the garage just watching them like I was hypnotized LOL. My family was a bit jealous of my chicken attention! By 3 weeks they could fly out so added 2 old window screens over the top. They went into their coop at 4.5 weeks (August -- plenty warm for them) and they slept on their roost from day one! (proud mama here)
yippiechickie.gif

Understand the milkcrate seat. My peeps stayed in the spare bedroom for the first 2 weeks. As you can see in this picture, I sat on the small locker beside the brooder.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom