New brown egg layer assortment

Folkvanger Farm

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
Cairo, Alabama
Well our 9 new babies arrived yesterday from Meyer hatchery and this time all of the were alive! Last time we ordered a rare assortment and one got trampled by the others during shipping. So we put them in the brooder to get ready to integrate them in a few weeks. As with all assortment the fun is figuring out what breeds you got. Any help will be appreciated.

The other issue we ran into is that we let one of the ladies that got broody sit full term on 4 eggs. Well only one hatched exactly a week ago and today the momma hen pecked an eye of another hen whilst protecting the baby so we took the baby and put it with these babies so that hopefully no more eyes will get pecked out. I have attached the video of the new babies and the week old baby for you to check out.

I think we have a couple of those island reds and some marens, but no way to be sure.

Why wouldn't you separate the momma hen in a secure run and coop so she will not have her chicks disturbed by other chickens, and give her all the chicks to take care of them?

Pics of the babies

62A57AD5-D094-483B-82C6-74EFD2B918E1.jpeg

42497C23-EF88-4966-AC82-6DF8CD843B14.jpeg

795B4FFE-B1AC-4258-97DC-A1831F7D8D68.jpeg

2AC712AD-A697-431C-8455-BDD65038C465.jpeg

6D0DCFF5-3167-42AE-97DE-18206E43D7DC.jpeg

Why wouldn't you separate the momma hen in a secure run and coop so she will not have her chicks disturbed by other chickens, and give her all the chicks to take care of them?

Great question. As I mentioned I only have three coops. One for adults is for adolescents and one for new babies. The momma and baby are a one off and we’re having to sleep in the chicken tractor and since there is not a lot of room I let them out during the day. So basically it’s because I don’t have enough coops with “runs”.

Black with a white spot on the head is a Cuckoo Marans, or Dominique.... well, any breed with that barred/ cuckoo feather pattern.

The chipmunk chicks... many breeds start out that way. My first guess would be Welsummer.

The chipmunk chick where the stripes are a bit broken, maybe a Barnevelder.

White chick with black spots, Splash Marans.

No idea on the chestnut brown or lighter solid cream chick....

Obviously it's early like you said and tough to tell from the angle - but the darker brown chick looks like our partridge rock did. She also came from Meyer in an assortment.

They're cute. Good luck with them. We've been happy with ours.

Back
Top Bottom