New budgie

beckyschicks

Songster
13 Years
Sep 22, 2009
Iron Ridge WI
Hi, We just got a new budgie for christmas. It's my daughters and this is both our first time with an "indoor" bird. She is very sweet so far and we have done all our homework before we got her. I had her at a friends house who has birds a couple weeks before she came here. So far she will sit on almost everyone in the families finger, but still isn't ready to come out of the cage. My question is will she think we are all her flock or will she just latch on to one of us? If she does just pick one of us, do you guys have any tips so that it will be my daughter? Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your new family member! As long as everyone handles her daily, she shouldn't latch onto

one person. She should think of you all as her flock. If your daughter is the only one handling her, then

she will probably become the only person the bird will latch onto.

Spend at least 30 minutes with her daily! It would be awsome if you all could set down with her and hold

her every night. Be really gentle and talk to her and take turns holding her. If you do this she should never

pick only one person to be with.
wink.png

-Becca

Food is such a useful tool in training. Perhaps everyone could handle her but your daughter could be the only one with treats. All my birds love millet spray. She could offer some to her whenever she holds her. That would make her quite special in the Keet's eyes.

Good choice of bird; parakeets are really sweet and make great companion birds, but you probably already knew that. ^.<

I agree, food is great for training and bonding. Something else that my little budgie loves is that even if I'm busy doing something, I'll talk sweet to him from across the room, and every time I pass by his cage I say something nice to him. He loves it. Parakeets are chatty birds and love to listen to you. In addition to handling and giving of tasty treats as well, you'd be surprised how happy it makes a bird just by hearing you talk to him! ^w^

saly somtimes when a bird choses its mate the humans really have no inluence over it, though budgies usily dont chose a mate though so it will probily fine...also if your dauther is the primary care giver he is more likly to have a "special" bond to her

Back
Top Bottom