1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New bunny

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nigellas, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Hi everyone

We are getting a baby lionhead bunny this weekend - What do we need to prepare? Obviously things like food, water, cage - But what else? Anything an 8 week baby will need to be happy?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    chew sticks, hay, salt lick.

3. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    So apparently the books I've read are wrong....

~Don't feed lettuce until it is an adult. Even then limit green treats (besides hay and grass). Iceberg lettuce should not be fed at all.

~Make sure the rabbit cannot break out of his/her cage. Our cage's door hangs down from the inside, so the rabbit cannot get out. But we have another one that uses a spring to secure it from the outside, and she can get out of that one by simply pressing on the door.

~Read rabbit books for safety!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Tab003

Tab003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Alfalfa hay is not good for bunnies--to much protein. Rabbit pellets (feed) contain mostly alfalfa so they get enough protein from thier feed, no need for more. Trully a rabbit gets everything it needs from the pellets and doesn't need anything else. I give mine timothy/grass hay as something for the rabbit to munch on and not get bored. Always keep fresh water out. Heat is alot harder on bunnies then the cold.
    Good luck,
    Tab
    www.bunchsbunnybarn.net

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Alfalfa is NOT good for them, it can cause major urinary tract issues. Timothy is best for their digestive systems. Rabbits have delicate digestive systems - too many treats can mess with it. Apples, carrots and broccoli are best. Mine won't touch apples or carrots so they get a stalk of broccoli twice a week.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Never thought to give them broccoli? I give mine some watermelon rinds (they love them!) and other pieces of fruit that might not get eaten by a human (rarely happens). Other than that they get their feed and some fresh clover/grass when it's not 1000 degrees outside [​IMG]

To the OP: I keep bottles of ice in the deep freezer for really hot days, especially for my mama bunny. They help the bunnies stay cool by laying next to it.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:My doe that is at full stage wool growth right now lays ON TOP of the frozen bottle, like she is hanging on for dear life. [​IMG]

8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Be careful with the broccoli. Some rabbits do fine on it, some do not. Young rabbits especially may not. Just introduce it slowly, as you would any new veg or fruit. For a lionhead, consider giving some papaya or other food known to help with digestion and passing of hair so they do not get wool block.

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    do NOT feed corn. mine died from it.

10. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Teach him to take over for your rooster when he needs a break [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by