new... but have been stalking

edenn3583

Hatching
Aug 8, 2016
Hi. I have look through a lot of content on these forums and online. My husband purchased a little giant incubator i believe with fan from tractor supply. we have attempted 4 runs with on average 15 eggs each and have only gotten 2 chicks total. the first 2 tries the eggs only had yolks after 25 days (did not candle) we have a rooster... second many only had yolks and some were very minimally formed, like a foot if i recall. this time i am on day 20 and some eggs were see through when candled some were very dark but i couldnt tell on the air sac. I am not sure the humidity reads correctly on this unit. it never gets above 60% no matter how much water you add. temp says 99.5. the fan needs to be checked to see if it is working but im in the lock down phase. I am very discouraged and disappointed. Very new to this as we just buy our chicks. please advise and let me apologize in advanced as I know this has been covered a hundred times

Ok first off, never trust the instruments on any incubator until you verify them with an accurately tested one. There are decent cheap thermometers and hygrometers that can be independently tested for accuracy. Depending on the kind you get, there are different tests available, so do you have an extra one that you can test?

LG's are known for spiking temps, if they are not watched. But I think the new ones seem to be doing better, or at least I've seen better reports with new ones.

Whereabouts are you located? Local humidity has a big effect on eggs and incubating techniques. If you live in a very humid climate, the you probably want to lower your incubating humidity. Dry areas may need it higher. I live in a very humid area, so I incubate at 25-35% humidity until the last 3 days, when I raise it to 65-75%. But monitoring air cells is the best way to gage what you need. The air cells need to grow a proper amount, but not too much, so that the chick develops to the right size and can maneuver to get out.

My guess, from what you have described is either the eggs just haven't been fertilized by a rooster, old eggs, or maybe temp spikes. The ones that do grow are probably drowning with humidity that high.
Also if the fan is not working, then the temp should be raised to around 101-102. Taken at the top of the egg height. Fans circulate the air and keep the egg at a more constant temp, still air is usually warmer on top of the egg, but a degree or so lower on the floor.

High elevations also have some "special" techniques, so that is also something to consider if you are in a high elevation area.

Oh, for lockdown, you can add a couple of sponges inside to further increase humidity. Its based on surface area of the water, not depth.

Back
Top Bottom