new call ducks

QueenOfMyCoop

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
i have 4 pekin ducks. my friends wants me to take 11 miniture call ducks... do they need to be introduced slowly? any suggestions?

It is suggested that you quarantine any animals for 30 days before introducing to prevent adding diseases to your flock. Not everyone does this, and I haven't with my flock. But you may or may not want to with your ducks.

Otherwise, you would let them see each other but not be able to interact. That may be more difficult, since call ducks can fly. Do this for a week or so. Then they spend time together, but keep them separated in the coop for another week or so. After that they should be able to be fully integrated.

However, you should also think do you have a male Pekin? The males are huge and could kill the call ducks. It is also possible the females could harm them as well. They have a large size difference. It is possible for them to get along fine and people do it.

i have 4 pekin ducks. my friends wants me to take 11 miniture call ducks... do they need to be introduced slowly? any suggestions?
I have a pekin hen, a crested Rouen drake, and 7 call ducks. They free range together during the day, but go into separate houses at night. Mine get along great, but it all depends on the demeanor of the individual ducks. Luckily my drake shows no interest in the calls and doesn’t cause any issues. Introducing slowly is best. I usually use a see no touch barrier for a while. I usually quarantine new birds for a while as well but that is all up to you. Good luck with what you decide to do! The calls can definitely fly well, mine love to fly over to the neighbor’s houses so I must retrieve them! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom