New case of 'Chicken Fever' in so. Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smyers32, Sep 20, 2012.

1. smyers32

smyers32 Chillin' With My Peeps

The coop is under construction and I'm set to pick up my mini-flock this weekend! I've been spending an unhealthy amount of time on this website the last two weeks, trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible! Hopefully I don't screw it up too bad! I'm getting 5 adult hens and a 5 month old rooster from a local 4-h kid (all buff orps), We're building a 4'x12'x6' coop/run combo in the back corner of the existing barn. I plan to let them free-range during the day after a few days of confinement to the coop(I've read that's the best way to ensure they go back to the coop at night?)

Anyone experienced chicken heads in my area have suggestions for overwintering the flock? Can I pretty much rely on their instincts for when it's too cold for chickens to be outside? Or is there a standard temp when I should keep them in the coop for the day? Any other advice is greatly appreciated!!

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] Sounds like you have prepared well. My chickens do not like snow, so they stay in then. I usually keep a small vent open in the winter and try to get them out into the greenhouse on most days. But yes there are some days I don't let them out but they probably wouldn't want to be out anyway.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't raise chickens so I don't have any input but [​IMG][​IMG]

4. smyers32

thanks tiki! I'm toying with the idea of letting have the rest of the barn when we have snow on the ground, i just don't know how i feel about having chicken poo on every last thing. Anyway, we don't get all that much snow down here and I have a couple months to get to now my girls before we really get into winter. I'm just a nervous new chicken mom, I want to do everything right.
    Also I'm so excited! I'm already thinking about getting some young pullets or maybe even day olds to add to the flock later and I don't even have my first batch yet!! haha

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    :weee Sounds like you will fit right in at BYC! :thumbsup

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California! It freezes here but no snow, my chickens go out in almost any weather.

7. smyers32

Thanks Liz, good to know!

To All: After reading through the forum a bit, I have a couple new questions.
    1) Is there one feed that I can feed the whole flock (layers and roo) I keep reading that roosters shouldn't eat layer feed. If i feed an 'all flock' type feed will the hens get enough calcium? Or should I also offer oyster shell as a compromise. If I do that, whose to say the roo won't also eat the oyster and then be in the same boat as if I just fed layer to begin with?
    2) Is it necessary to deworm regularly or only if you see worms in the poo? Do they make a feed thru wormer of any kind? Seems like squirting liquid into a chicken mouth could be challenging...

Ahhhh, the ponderings to come....

8. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    [​IMG]

Hello from Kentucky. Welcome to BYC!

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Welcome! I'm in Floyd Co...about as southern IN as you can get...lol. My flock is babied (I keep my coops above freezing at night), and I STILL have opened their pop door for outside access every winter day for the past three winters. As others have said, they don't like snow. So they may choose to stay inside when there is snow on the ground, unless you have covered areas (tree shelters, carports, etc.). They don't like the cold, but they'll brave it to be outdoors. Windbreak areas are very helpful, and needed if it's really cold and you want to avoid frostbite. I allow my birds into MY bay of our detached garage when there's snow on the ground, so I surely know about the poop everywhere...lol. I chicken wire off my husband's bay (he's less tolerant than I am [​IMG] ) to keep them out of that area.

Roosters are fine with layer feed; it's chicks that shouldn't have it due to the calcium content.

I myself have flipflopped on worming. I used to think I'd only worm if/when I saw a worm. But after my 2nd (in three years) encounter with worms, I'm now planning on worming 2x a year. Sometimes, by the time you see worms, the worms have really impacted/lowered the birds resistance to other illnesses (such as respiratory infections). There are really varied opinions on worming, so you have to figure out what works for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by