New castle vaccine

Not strictly true, it was in Southern California in 2003 as well. It pops up occasionally there or a few other places about once a decade. The disease has no cure, and is terminal, once one member of your flock has it, it will kill them all. The vaccine also has limited effectiveness, and has to be given routinely to provide any protection.
You are correct. I mistakenly said 25 years, but it was 15 years ago.

You are correct. I mistakenly said 25 years, but it was 15 years ago.
I only know because I work in regulatory animal health and had to work this outbreak. I agree with biosecurity and not vaccines as first line of defense with birds. In fact all the literature we passed out stressed biosecurity and didn't even mention the vaccine, the only time we asked if they were vaccinated was when we tested birds.

I just don’t like the idea of vaccinating for all sorts of possible diseases. I would rather practice good biosecurity and never buy chickens from any place but a hatchery. If I lived in place where there were a lot of disease around, I probably would not raise chickens.

Thank you common sense does reign

Here in Germany, Newcastles is the only mandatory vaccine. There is an oral vaccine that has to be administered every couple of months, and it has to be administered via drinking water within 2 hours of mixing. There is also an injection which is good for 1 year: Nobilis Newcavac is what my vet gets. Of course how long it actually provides protection may be longer, these are the intervals that are mandated. If you are doing this voluntarily, you may be able to have a blood test done to see if it is still good.
And yes, the doses are geared towards mass production farms so for about 1000 birds. But here, we can split costs since everyone needs it.

Here in Germany, Newcastles is the only mandatory vaccine. There is an oral vaccine that has to be administered every couple of months, and it has to be administered via drinking water within 2 hours of mixing. There is also an injection which is good for 1 year: Nobilis Newcavac is what my vet gets. Of course how long it actually provides protection may be longer, these are the intervals that are mandated. If you are doing this voluntarily, you may be able to have a blood test done to see if it is still good.
And yes, the doses are geared towards mass production farms so for about 1000 birds. But here, we can split costs since everyone needs it.
Thanks for explaining your experience with the vaccine.

Thank you! I wish there were more mandated vaccines here.

Back
Top Bottom