New Challenge - Good deed for the day.

At dinnertime last night the water tank on my moms toilet let go, and she had water flowing out of it through her bathroom floor, down into her finished basement, when she tried to turn off the shutoff to the toilet it was rusted up and couldn't be shut off. (a previous plumber had installed a steel shutoff on there!?) So she had to shut the water off to her whole house. I should mention she had company over for dinner while this is happening. Company who are planning to spent the night....
Not to mention her septic system failed this week and the company who came to fix that had just left when the toilet broke, and the trap in the kitchen sink also let go earlier that day, she was really having fun!!!!!

So, she called a plumbing company who said it would be a weekend rate ($109 an hour for labor) and they would call one of their plumbers and he would call her back if he had time. He did, said he was already on another emergency and would be working on that for another hour and a half at least, but under the circumstances he would come over anyway when he was done. He shows up at after 9pm, looks exahausted, but is very nice, and goes in to see what he can do. While he is checking things out she gets all the cash she had on her together ($40) and puts it in an envelope with a thank you and sticks it in his truck, just because he looks so pooped but was still so nice.

He comes out and He tells her he can install a new shutoff valve, so she can have water to the rest of her house, but there is nothing he can do to fix the toilet for her, she needs a new toilet ect. He goes back in a fixes it and then comes back out and tells her before he leaves that he isn't going to charge her for all the time he was there because it really wasn't a big deal and he knows they are going to charge her for the weekend rate. He also tells her if she goes and buys the toilet and calls him he will come out and just put it in for her without billing her. She thanks him, signs the order ect. and says she'll call him. He leaves, ( it is now nearly 11pm, but when he gets to his truck and finds the note and the $$ he came back inside just to say thank you.

She could have been a grouch after the week/day she had/bad news she got (she only has one toilet!)
He could have been a grouch about being at work all day and until 11pm on a friday night, you know he's only getting paid by the hour.
BUT they were kind to each other instead, and each had a kindness done back to them in return. Plus the good feelings all- round!

I though that was a great story when she told me, just this morning, just in time to share on this forum! I love stories like these! Great thread, thank you!!!!

Little kindnesses really mean so much!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom