New chick and needing advice.

Amreid

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2021
Hi all! 2 of our broody hens were sitting on 4 eggs. This morning when I fed, we had a baby chick. I barely caught a glimpse of it but it looked to be doing well before it ran back under the hen. I put some chick starter and water in the coop and one of our non broody hens keep attacking the two broody hens whenever I peek in to check on them. The non broody is quite the piggy when it comes to food and has to be in the middle of everything. At this point with 3 eggs left to hatch, I don't dare move them. I thought about closing the door to the coop to give them some privacy but it's supposed to reach 90° and I don't want them to get to hot in there. We do have vents but no windows on the coop. I thought about separating the non broody by putting her in a large kennel that we have but again, with the heat coming, she wouldn't be able to dust bathe in a kennel. Any tips are greatly appreciated!!!

I notice it's been several days, so this might be too late, but you might be able to just cover the door with something that will keep out the non broody hen while still letting air in. That could be a piece of wire mesh, some kind of plastic mesh fence, tulle from the fabric store, a big old fishnet, even a lace tablecloth or curtain-- just use whatever you've got that lets air through but not chickens. You can put it up with staples or nails or even thumbtacks, or tie it into place with string, or any other temporary fastening method.

(Most of the things I suggested are not strong enough to keep out predators, but since you are just trying to separate chickens from other chickens, they should be fine.)

@NatJ . Thank you for the reply! I waited too long to take action and one of the hens got in the middle of everything. I had one sole survivor that was pecked on the back but is being nursed back to health. It's been 9 days since it happened and little "Rocky" is a fighter and hanging in there! It's been a touch and go experience since then but she seems to be doing well. I'm worried about infection now, as her wound has a yellow look to it. I'm using Betadine 3x a day and covering with triple antibiotic ointment. Her poor down is all matted down from being treated but she eats and drinks and is growing. She was looking really depressed and lonely so I managed to find 4 more chicks that are very close in age to put with her and that perked her up some. Do you have any tips regarding possible infection? Thanks!

I'm using Betadine 3x a day and covering with triple antibiotic ointment. ...Do you have any tips regarding possible infection?

I'm not particularly good with injuries, so you could start a new thread in the "Emergencies/Injuries/Diseases" section and see if other people have suggestions. Photos can help them understand what you are dealing with.

But what you are doing matches what I have seen people recommend in similar cases, so it's probably the right thing :)

Oh trust me, when I found the injured baby, I freaked out and was typing faster than I could think! Ha ha! Trying to research, and post a thread to ask questions, and do the nurse triage all at the same time. Needless to say, I was clueless and frantic!! I did get some very good info on my "emergency" thread, and I tried it all! It really saved her life.

I did get some very good info on my "emergency" thread, and I tried it all! It really saved her life.
That's good. I hadn't thought to check if you already posted there. (Since I'm not really good with emergencies, I usually do not look for threads there.)

I understand! I'm not good with emergencies either!! However, she hatched 11 days ago and she is still here and running around like a happy little chick so between prayers, love, and the great advice given on BYC I'm feeling like I knocked this emergency out of the ball park!

Back
Top Bottom