New Chick, Bleeding from umbilical cord!! Update:She didn't make it :(

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
One of my chicks that just hatched still has part of it's cord attached, but got torn abit and it is bleeding pretty bad, what do I do????? Please help!!!!

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of experience with this, but I believe you'll want to tie it off with a piece of string, fairly close to the body. Good luck!

Do you have any Aeromycin (available for $3-4 at most feed stores) antibacterial medicine powder? If so, dust some where the bleeding is. That will help it clot, plus do wonders at helping prevent infection.
If you don't have Aeromycin, you can try using a little white flour to help with clotting, and later pour some Betadine on the area if you have that.

Also, get the chick off wire so it doesn't tear more.
Either lay a paper towel in the incubator for it to lie on, or put it in the brooder on a paper towel. It is helpful if there are already other chicks in the brooder who are moving around, so you can know what location in brooder is best temperature-wise. You will want to place it slightly closer to heat than chicks that are already dry are preferring.
Best!

Last edited:
My DH has some clotting medicine that we use on our cuts, so we put that on it and it seemed to stop it. It has a pretty big opening where the cord was attached, will that close off on it's own or does that mean that it won't make it??

In reading other posts, I'm seeing it's best to leave in incubator if possible so yolk can have best chance of being absorbed (in moist environment) rather than dried out in the brooder. Maybe it would be useful to put a few drips of WARM water nearby on paper towel, too, to help provide extra humidity.
There are a number of good posts in "Incubating & Hatching Eggs" forum--You might try Search with "absorb" or something as a search keyword.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom