New chick emergency

Msdvm113

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2022
New emergency!
Just received a wyandotte chick in the mail.
It is the tiniest chick of the 6 and the rest have found the food and water.
I am wondering if this chick is barely hatched. Very tiny, won't open eyes for very long, keeps sleeping, feet seem messed up and it keeps tipping over backwards. That being said it has a healthy set of lungs and seems very content when I hold it in my hands but screams otherwise. I have been giving it a sugar and electrolyte mix every 10 mins by dipping its beak in the mixture. Included 2 pics. Is this chick possible to save?

Attachments

• 20220628_163746.jpg
    20220628_163746.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220628_153813.jpg
    20220628_153813.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 7
New emergency!
Just received a wyandotte chick in the mail.
It is the tiniest chick of the 6 and the rest have found the food and water.
I am wondering if this chick is barely hatched. Very tiny, won't open eyes for very long, keeps sleeping, feet seem messed up and it keeps tipping over backwards. That being said it has a healthy set of lungs and seems very content when I hold it in my hands but screams otherwise. I have been giving it a sugar and electrolyte mix every 10 mins by dipping its beak in the mixture. Included 2 pics. Is this chick possible to save?
It does look pretty tiny compared to the rrest. How long ago did they arrive? Shipping can be pretty stressful and hard on them. If they just got there, I'd just give it some time. Make sure he/she is warm and keep it up with the electrolytes. If you've got any, a tiny little drop or two of nutridrench right into her mouth may perk her up. It's got all the vitamins and minerals she would need after a long journey. There is also the chance that, like you said, she's very freshly hatched and is still surviving off the yolk she absorbed at hatch and may not think she needs to eat yet. But I'd definitely give her some nutridrench (in their water maybe, so they all get that boost, or just directly give her some). And time. Give her some time to recover from the journey. Hopefully she'll perk up in no time at all!

It does look pretty tiny compared to the rrest. How long ago did they arrive? Shipping can be pretty stressful and hard on them. If they just got there, I'd just give it some time. Make sure he/she is warm and keep it up with the electrolytes. If you've got any, a tiny little drop or two of nutridrench right into her mouth may perk her up. It's got all the vitamins and minerals she would need after a long journey. There is also the chance that, like you said, she's very freshly hatched and is still surviving off the yolk she absorbed at hatch and may not think she needs to eat yet. But I'd definitely give her some nutridrench (in their water maybe, so they all get that boost, or just directly give her some). And time. Give her some time to recover from the journey. Hopefully she'll perk up in no time at all!
Thank you! I was a little worried that her feet arent working but might just be she is weak! Seems to be perking up a little so I will try some nitro drench as well. Cant hurt the others!

Welcome To BYC

Good suggestions. I'd keep trying to give drops of fluid and see if she will eat a little wet chick starter.

The feet are concerning. Can she stand at all on her own? I'd also crush up 1/4 tablet B-Complex and mix it with a tiny bit of water, syringe a drop or two of the B Water into her throughout the day. PND does not have B2(Riboflavin) so this is what the B-Complex is for, for the next few days.

The feet are they curling or she just can't get the strength to stand? Hopefully she will come right over the course of the next couple of days. Do what you can and be cautiously optimistic but do know that sometimes a chick like this fails to thrive.

Welcome To BYC

Good suggestions. I'd keep trying to give drops of fluid and see if she will eat a little wet chick starter.

The feet are concerning. Can she stand at all on her own? I'd also crush up 1/4 tablet B-Complex and mix it with a tiny bit of water, syringe a drop or two of the B Water into her throughout the day. PND does not have B2(Riboflavin) so this is what the B-Complex is for, for the next few days.

The feet are they curling or she just can't get the strength to stand? Hopefully she will come right over the course of the next couple of days. Do what you can and be cautiously optimistic but do know that sometimes a chick like this fails to thrive.
Hi she is slightly steadier on her feet today but won't/can't eat solids because of her balance issues. I fed her a small amount of liquid egg yolk and she drinks the electrolyte water on her own.
I was considering taping her feet for better balance. One foot is definitely turned inward but the other seems okay just unsteady. She does tilt her head back a lot so maybe wry neck all caused by riboflavin deficiency?
Do you know where I can buy the B complex? Does it have to be for chickens?

It is the tiniest chick...I am wondering if this chick is barely hatched.
It should be very close to the same age as the rest of them.
The hatchery would not have put an unhatched egg in the box, and ALL chicks are supposed to be less than 24 hours old when the box is mailed. (That is intended to make sure they have enough yolk to get to you without needing food or water on the way.)

So whatever other problem the chick may have, it is probably not enough younger to be causing the symptoms you are seeing.

Hi she is slightly steadier on her feet today but won't/can't eat solids because of her balance issues. I fed her a small amount of liquid egg yolk and she drinks the electrolyte water on her own.
I was considering taping her feet for better balance. One foot is definitely turned inward but the other seems okay just unsteady. She does tilt her head back a lot so maybe wry neck all caused by riboflavin deficiency?
Do you know where I can buy the B complex? Does it have to be for chickens?
Can you get photos of her standing?

A foot turning inward could be slipped tendon. Can you feel of her joint and compare it to the other chicks. You should be able to feel the tendon out if it is. Slipped tendon is extremely hard to correct if at all.

Are her feet curled? Taping may help, you can try.

You can use human B-Complex, it's found at WalMart, CVS, etc. If you want to give Vitamin E, then pick up a bottle of 400IU Vitamin E too.

Tilting the head back could be Wry Neck. The E and B-Complex can help with that. Some little ones that have leg issues like this fail.

Can you get photos of her standing?

A foot turning inward could be slipped tendon. Can you feel of her joint and compare it to the other chicks. You should be able to feel the tendon out if it is. Slipped tendon is extremely hard to correct if at all.

Are her feet curled? Taping may help, you can try.

You can use human B-Complex, it's found at WalMart, CVS, etc. If you want to give Vitamin E, then pick up a bottle of 400IU Vitamin E too.

Tilting the head back could be Wry Neck. The E and B-Complex can help with that. Some little ones that have leg issues like this fail.
Thank you! I will get some b complex right away! I will try to get a better picture of her feet too but you can see her bad one in this picture

Attachments

• 20220628_173032.jpg
    20220628_173032.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 7
It should be very close to the same age as the rest of them.
The hatchery would not have put an unhatched egg in the box, and ALL chicks are supposed to be less than 24 hours old when the box is mailed. (That is intended to make sure they have enough yolk to get to you without needing food or water on the way.)

So whatever other problem the chick may have, it is probably not enough younger to be causing the symptoms you are seeing.
Thank you...i guess I was hopefully it could be explained by that but seems like it is not the case :/

Back
Top Bottom