New Chick Failing-UPDATE-Didn't make it. :(

Getaway Gal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Hocking Hills
I have three EE/Barred Rock crosses that were hatched by another broody hen, and that I am now raising with some other chicks that I ordered to arrive at the same time. The mixes hatched on Sunday, and all was going well until this morning (Thursday). One is obviously not doing well...lying down, head down, labored breathing. This is about my 4th time with chicks, and I believe that I'm going everything right-correct temperature, food, and water. Is there anything that I should try, or is this just a "failure to thrive" thing. I've never lost one before.
sad.png
I have a fairly good medicine cabinet, but don't have any experience at all in terms of what I should try...if anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry you are having this issue. I hope the baby makes it. You could take an eye dropper or syringe and force feed it some water with sugar, gatorade or vits. Keep doing this every couple of hours and see if it perks up. It may be something that can't be helped, I hope not. Offer it some chick feed mixed in water or force feed it that too. Check for pasty butt and make sure that's not it. Keep us posted but I would def. try to force feed.

Back
Top Bottom