New chick! How long do I need to quarantine? When should I start taming?

Bringing in new birds always stresses me out and I try not to do it. I know some people who seem to buy and sell birds like crazy like their coop has a revolving door. As fun as it is to hatch out chicks, once you initially get your flock started, it is way more fun to breed than to buy. Plus it's a lot safer! I am sooo grateful I can have roosters where I live. Also, Pipdzipd, I honestly don't think I could use any of my ladies as a "canary" lol. I may be a softie, but I wouldn't be cool losing any of them. :)

I know, it's so hard! I definitely couldn't put any of my beloved hens into quarantine! But I've had a few mean, miserable cockerels that are just easier to deal with when contained in quarantine. (And it was definitely not for revenge or anything! ;) )

I prefer not to bring in adult birds very often at all, either. Last one I had to quarantine was a hen that needed a new home because she was being harassed by the rest of the flock where she used to live. I'll be bringing in a pair of call ducks next month, probably, and once they pass quarantine, I'll hopefully get all my seasonally-required cute baby time with ducklings hatched from them rather than bringing in more birds from other sources. :)

I'm not sure now if I should put new chicks I'm expecting shipped today from a reputable breeder into my master bathroom where I have 6 less than 5 day old chicks, and expecting 8 chicks the same age today. I was planning on brooding them together as my barn has another brooder box with 6 chicks that are 5 weeks old. Eventually integration of all the chicks when it's time to move them to their coop/run being built still. Is that bad? Should I set up a brooder box in an empty bedroom? Agh!!

Ana is very calm. I don't think she's ever eaten watermelon before! I put a bit in with her and it's been there all day! I'm also wondering if she's ever been outside because I put a box of dirt in there for her to dust bathe in and she doesn't even scratch in it! Maybe I'll try and see if she's had worms before...... She's pretty calm about a harness being out on her and doesn't throw a fit like my Black sex link. The problem is that it's now raining out and I don't know if it'd be good for her to be out in the rain. She looks like she was bullied by other chicks because she has a bare patch on her back.
It looks like what happened to this hen.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-from-back-at-base-of-tail-bareback-chickens
Except that she has a few more feathers and pin feathers are coming in too. There are little scabs though. Should I worry about this?

My quarantine was just blown out of the water!
th.gif
We found my chickens in the garage grouped around my new girl Ana. I hope she doesn't have anything!
I don't think she does. My other chickens had never gone into the garage before!
idunno.gif

I'm not sure now if I should put new chicks I'm expecting shipped today from a reputable breeder into my master bathroom where I have 6 less than 5 day old chicks, and expecting 8 chicks the same age today. I was planning on brooding them together as my barn has another brooder box with 6 chicks that are 5 weeks old. Eventually integration of all the chicks when it's time to move them to their coop/run being built still. Is that bad? Should I set up a brooder box in an empty bedroom? Agh!!

This is tricky... Really, you should quarantine both groups separately so that if one group is from a carrier flock, you both know the source of the disease and don't have to eliminate all of the chicks. It's tough, though, preparing so many quarantines. This is a scenario in which I think you should do what you think you can. If you're able and willing to quarantine the groups separately, then that's what I would do in that case, but if not, just be watchful and prepared.

My quarantine was just blown out of the water!  :th  We found my chickens in the garage grouped around my new girl Ana.  I hope she doesn't have anything!
I don't think she does.   My other chickens had never gone into the garage before!:idunno  

Oh, man, that stinks! Just keep an eye on all of your birds for symptoms at this point. :fl Here's hoping she's healthy!

Now what do I do? Since I free range I want Ana to come when I call. Here are the choices.
1. Put Ana with the girls now.
2. Put Ana with the girls after she learns how to come.
3. Keep her in quarantine.

Well, there's no real point in keeping her in quarantine, since the rest of the birds have been exposed to her. You could, of course, if it makes you feel safe, but you don't really need to anymore. If I were you, I would work on training her to come and then put her in the flock. You might also want to move her somewhere where she can see the rest of the flock and the others can see her. That way, the other birds can get used to her being there and hopefully won't harass her too much when you try to introduce her into the flock.

OK. Thanks! I'm pretty sure she's not sick. I've gotten 2 day old chicks from the farm and never had any problems. Of course they were in a brooder, but I took them for outside trips. I think I'll just start training her to come and then I'll put her with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom