New chick in brooder....should I make it a fake mama?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maryallison, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    We had 1 chick hatch and it is all alone in the brooder. It is sooooo loud! Does it miss its mama. It was hatched out by mama hen. We took the chick because we were unsure how the rooster was going to react to it. Can I give it something fluffy for it to curn up with? Or will it quiet down and get used to things?

2. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Chicks prefer company and warmth, so maybe you could put it back with Mama and put Rooster in a separate area for a while? If not, try a feather duster or fluffy stuffed animal for company. Poor chick, it's gonna be VERY lonely, so be sure it has company of the real variety as much as possible. Good luck, and congratulations, you're a chicken grandma!

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    mine have a hot water bottle with a fuzzy cover on it. they sit on it and ride the waves, kind of like a chicki waterbed lol. it seems to calm everyone down which is nice.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    The feed stores have chucks so if you were to buy a couple your baby would be happier.
    I had a chick hatch a day earlier than the rest and put a clean feather duster in with it and it was a bit happier.

5. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    It was soooooo funny! I put a soft stuffed animal in there and my cute chick quieted down! [​IMG] He's got his fake mama & he is thrilled!!!!! [​IMG]

6. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] I am glad to hear he has calmed down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by