New Chick Mamma!

I'm new at this too and I live in Moorpark.My kids and I are loving raising our chicks. Did you build a coop or buy one? We are looking for the most affordable option. We have purchased a prefabbed coop but still have time to return it if we can find a better option.

Hi && Welcome!!!
wee.gif

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! Handdmommy, my husband is in the process of building our coop! We looked at a number of different pics and styles on here and I left it up to him to decide how he wants to build it. Of course with a few strong suggestions on my part. I'll let you know how it turns out. What types of chicks do you have?

We have 26 in total. Partridge Plymouth rocks, Buckeyes, Araucanas, Olive Eggers, Silver laced Wyandottes, Blue laced red Wyandottes, Welsummers, Penedenscas, Exchequers, black marans and blue marans. I wanted the full array of colored eggs! The breeder gave us a few extra of each because some were unsexed. Anyway I'm not planning on keeping them all. I just have to wait a few weeks so I can identify the pullets. So I may have a few available then if you want to add some more to your flock!

We actually had to buy 6 from the place we purchased and then wanted a few rhode island reds so now we have 8. There is no way we can keep 8 so I am looking for a good home for 4 of them. They mentioned to us that there is a farmer in the area that takes the chickens that people don't keep (because they make you buy 6 at a time) but I'd rather them go to a family that wants fresh, healty eggs. Do you know of anyone that would like 1 silkie and 3 golden laced wyandottes? They are all very sweet and 4 weeks old.

Thank you FierLin1182. We are lucky to have a large space for the chickens. I don't think we will be keeping all 26 chicks as some of them were unsexed. I know that we already have one Roo. My great grandfather has a saying "if they lay let them stay, if they crow let them go". Although my husband is considering keeping the Roo. We have already become attached. We will see!

That is a fantastic saying, I love it! :lau
I hope that you get to keep as many as possible!

Back
Top Bottom