New Chick Mom and New Member

Patriceinil

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
Northern Illinois
Hi I’m a new member, I’m a disabled widow looking to secure a way of providing eggs and eventually meat for myself and my family. I live in an unincorporated area in a subdivision on about 1/5th of an acre. I have 1 dog, a beagle coonhound mix that I rescued from a shelter about 4 years ago. He’s either 5 or 6 years old and has severe separation anxiety. He can be quite a handful at times but he’s been getting a bit better as he ages.

I like to garden and preserve whatever I grow. The chicks will be getting lots of weeds along with fruit & veggies scraps to supplement their feed.

I just picked up some day old chicks this morning. I’ve raised adult layers in the past (about 12years ago) but never chicks.

I have never started with chicks so this is all new to me. I bought 1 Buff Orpington pullet, 1 Barred Rock pullet, 1 Americana pullet and will be getting 1 Olive Egger on Friday when the feed store gets the rest of their chicks in.

I plan to order 1 Easter Egger cockerel to add to my coop but unfortunately he will be 6 weeks younger than the pullets because my feed store only orders pullets.

I’m hoping I won’t have a problem introducing him to the flock once he’s old enough to join them in the coop.

I am planning to keep the 4 pullets in the brooder inside my house until they are fully feathered out and the temperature warms up enough for them to go out into the coop.

I purchased an all in one coop with attached run kit from Blain’s Farm and Fleet. It’s on the small side but I plan on adding an additional run area to the attached run of the coop. I may also build a chicken tractor to move around the yard to allow the birds to forage more. Unfortunately due to a high population of hawks and eagles in my area along with coyotes, raccoons, opossums and skunks, the chickens will not be able to free range.

I’m mainly interested in egg production but want the option of hatching chicks for meat production as well as to sell chicks if the need arises.

Thank you for allowing me to join the group. I look forward to learning from everyone who has been raising chicks and chickens for years.

Back
Top Bottom