dawnh

Chirping
Mar 17, 2015
West Yorkshire, England.
frow.gif
Hi Everyone!

So, over the last 2 days I've had 5 chicks hatch
celebrate.gif
2 RIR, 2 Cuckoo Maran and 1 White Leghorn. 4 are in the brooder, 1 Cuckoo is still in the incy, fluffing up. The Leghorn and 1 of the RIR were assisted hatches.

Now to the questions!

1. I keep finding 1 of the RIR on it's back. I've not actually seen it do it, but I was scared the last time, because it didn't make a sound. Every other time (about 4/5 times), it's chirped it's head off. What would cause it to do this?

2. The Cuckoo in the brooder was firstborn, and it was alone for quite some time. When I introduced the other 3 into the brooder, it immediately started bullying them. I know they have to establish a pecking order, but this was quite brutal, going straight for the eyes. And it was relentless! I tried giving it something to peck at (Scattered food and a small foil container), but that didn't work, so I separated it from the rest. Will this stop? Why is it doing it?

3. The brooder floor is currently lined with anti slip matting. When should I change to shavings?

4. When will I get a full night's sleep again? This is worse than having a newborn!!!!!!
lau.gif

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom