New Chick on the block

Mriley0902

Chirping
Sep 3, 2019
Hello!
My name is Maria and I live in a small town called Borden Indiana it is about 30 minutes north of Louisville KY. I recently moved to a house with 5 acres so I want to really use my land and be able to teach my 3 children all about chickens ducks goats etc. I have 3 children ages are 6 and 4 (girls) and a one year old boy. We had randomly bought chickens at tractor supply right before Easter and bought a coop from them as well. Unfortunately with living out in the country an animal (I am assuming raccoon) got all of our chickens at the end of July. My daughters were devastated as we all know we get them for eggs but can’t help but fall in love with them so we had them all named. My husband promised me that we will build a coop and make sure this doesn’t happen again. I decided to look online at ways to build coops and learn more about chickens in general and that is how I stumbled across this page. I am really hoping to get out of this group a good way to build a coop that will house at least 8 chickens that has a small run. But I am also able to let my chickens free range once I get home from work on our 5 acres so that helps with space. However we do get colder temperatures and snow mainly in January-mid March but that can always vary so I need to learn how to keep chickens safe during the winter and hot summer months as well. Also I would like to know some fun things to do with chickens like what treats do they like or if you make cool toys for them as well. Any and all tips tricks and how tos will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. So sorry for your losses. Unfortunately everything loves to eat chicken. The predator threads will help you know what methods are best for preventing further attacks. Folks in your area (check out your state thread) should be able to tell you what breeds handle the climate best. Also they can direct you to the best feed stores.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. So sorry for your losses. Unfortunately everything loves to eat chicken. The predator threads will help you know what methods are best for preventing further attacks. Folks in your area (check out your state thread) should be able to tell you what breeds handle the climate best. Also they can direct you to the best feed stores.

waving-hi.gif

FarmerConnieWel878867byc.gif

Welcome Maria to BYC, eggcited to have you with us there are a lot of coop designs here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/

one thing you might want to get is a game cam and some live traps or hot wire the perimeter, and netting over top to prevent aerial predators and hardware mesh down can't remember how far to keep the diggers out.

I am sorry I don't know what predators you might have to deal with there, but be prepared if you need to defend your flock from them, sorry you've already lost the first ones.

How do I find my sta
Welcome Maria to BYC, eggcited to have you with us there are a lot of coop designs here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/

one thing you might want to get is a game cam and some live traps or hot wire the perimeter, and netting over top to prevent aerial predators and hardware mesh down can't remember how far to keep the diggers out.

I am sorry I don't know what predators you might have to deal with there, but be prepared if you need to defend your flock from them, sorry you've already lost the first ones.
thank you for the tips!!! We are definitely going to be prepared I am thinking for the run just getting a large 10x10 dog fence so they can roam while I’m not home and put the 1/2 inch wiring up about 4ft around it so the animals can’t get their paws in the chain link fence then I know we need to put the mesh on the ground as well.

Back
Top Bottom