1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chick on the block

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickadeekat, Oct 5, 2009.

1. chickadeekat

chickadeekat New Egg

Oct 5, 2009
    Ok here goes,
    Iam new at all of this.I'va got the pen built and the coop done now I got to get the chickens. So If i get 20 chickens how many roosters do I need? I guess ya think that Is a stupid question?Right? Well I want to have eggs and also some baby chickens. I read the things that you posted about the deep litter method and It made alot of sense. I will do that before I get the chickens. And Iam glad that I joined all of you and I know that I will learn alot from each of you,because I will be on this site looking for Info because I don't know what I have gotten myself Into. But I do hope for the best. Thank you all for your susport.
    Chickadeekat

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC from North Central Florida

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    [​IMG] Texas!

A good rooster to hen ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens.

Good luck!

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Twenty hens in close proximity? One rooster could handle it rather then end up with roosters fighting each other.
    Mine free range over 10 acres. 60 hens are happy with 4 roos at present. Hatching rate is 96%.

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Welcome from California to BYC. Be sure to continue to check out the other catatories for great advice on hen to rooster ratio, how much space an adult chicken needs, feeding, and stuff like that. So happy you are here.

Anne

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

8. Night Watcher

Night Watcher Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Phoenix,AR
    [​IMG]

9. fatboys farm

fatboys farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Franklin GA
    Hi chickadeekat. 1 roo will be enough with a daily nerve pill @ a vitamin supplement. Unless you order hens only you will have enough roosters anyways.

10. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by