new chick on the block

chickadeekat

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Ok here goes,
Iam new at all of this.I'va got the pen built and the coop done now I got to get the chickens. So If i get 20 chickens how many roosters do I need? I guess ya think that Is a stupid question?Right? Well I want to have eggs and also some baby chickens. I read the things that you posted about the deep litter method and It made alot of sense. I will do that before I get the chickens. And Iam glad that I joined all of you and I know that I will learn alot from each of you,because I will be on this site looking for Info because I don't know what I have gotten myself Into. But I do hope for the best. Thank you all for your susport.
Chickadeekat

frow.gif
Texas!

A good rooster to hen ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens.

Good luck!

Twenty hens in close proximity? One rooster could handle it rather then end up with roosters fighting each other.
Mine free range over 10 acres. 60 hens are happy with 4 roos at present. Hatching rate is 96%.

Welcome from California to BYC. Be sure to continue to check out the other catatories for great advice on hen to rooster ratio, how much space an adult chicken needs, feeding, and stuff like that. So happy you are here.

Anne

Hi chickadeekat. 1 roo will be enough with a daily nerve pill @ a vitamin supplement. Unless you order hens only you will have enough roosters anyways.

Back
Top Bottom