1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chick Owner w/ some Q's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenuser, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Chickenuser

Chickenuser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    [​IMG] Hi!!
    I am new here and I have a couple of questions about new chicks. They are about 3 weeks old, and I got them at a Co-op when they were 2 weeks. So here are my questions:
    Is it okay if they eat/peck at the pellets or floor they are on?
    Is it okay if they are losing their bottom feathers as well as the feathers on the bones next to their wings?
    Should the nesting boxes be up off the floor in the coop?
    Can chickens swim in creeks?[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Thank you soooo much!

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    What kind of pellets are on the floor? Wether or not they can safely eat them depends on what they are.

As far as 'loosing' feathers, they really should be GETTING feathers in at 3 weeks, not loosing them, but without seeing a picture to show what you are describing, its hard to say. It may be normal for their breed, or the 'feathers' you are thinking they are loosing may just be their baby down. Hard to say.

Nest boxes should be off the floor yes. However, you have a good 17 weeks or more before they'll be ready to use them, so where you put them now really makes no difference to them. [​IMG]

Swim? Uh, I dont think chickens can swim. I've heard they dislike water, although some will play in little kiddie pools, but I really dont think they can swim. I'd be interested in someone else's opinion though!

Hope this helps!

3. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    With new babies you should put them on paper for a day or two so they won't try to eat their bedding, but if yours are 3 weeks old and still healthy you should have no worres about what they are walking on.

Are you talking about feathers or their baby fuzz? If they are losing feathers that can't be a good sign.

Never saw a chicken swim... [​IMG]

4. Chickenuser

Apr 13, 2007
    Okay, thanks!
    I tried to download pictures onto my computer but it did not work.[​IMG]
    So now I will try to describe the feather problem.
    All of the chicks have no or little feathers on their bellies and i can see skin and veins.
    On their wings, it is the little bone around the wing and sometimes under the wing. This is only happening to one of my breeds, the Golden Cross Pullets.
    Oh, I really hope their ok...[​IMG]

Thanks a lot though![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  5. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    If i'm not mistaken, a Golden Cross is a sex-link and goes by various names.
    I couldn't find a single photo of a sex-link chick at three weeks old (or any age) that shows bare skin. Did you buy them that way, or have they started losing their fluff since you've had them? What are you feeding them? What kind of brooder set-up do you have?

And- chickens don't swim. They may enjoy wading in a few inches of water, but in a creek??? Doubtful at best.

6. Chickenuser

Apr 13, 2007
    I got my chicks fully feathered. I have put black pellets as the bedding.
    They have started losing their feathers in the past 2 days. Oh, I have brought them to a classroom to show people. Could this be caused by stress?
    I am feeding them NatureWise Chick Starter Complete Crumbs 20. I was going to start the medicated next for a while. I could not find the medicated when I first got them.
    Brooder? Is that the place they live? Well, they were in a black plastic tub w/ a heat lamp. Which is when they started losing the feathers. I noticed when I picked one up and it felt like it was coated with poop. Then I looked and saw the loss of feathers.
    We transfered them to a bigger metal tub with newspaper so they would not eat the bedding. THeir feathers have not changed. They have just gotten bigger.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Layer pineshavings over the newspaper, then cover with papertowels if the chicks are eating the shavings.

Give the chicks enough room to move away from the heat source so they don't cook in there.

Make sure they constantly have fresh, clean water.

You do not have to use medicated starter, regular is going to be fine.

What are the "black pellets" you originally had them on?

How many chicks do you have and what size 'tub' do you have them in?

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    What kind of chicks did you get? Did you maybe get cornish cross chicks?

9. chickchair

chickchair Rest in Peace 1959-2011

Jan 3, 2007
    I was thinking the same thing, Terrie..

Cornish cross chicks grow very fast and are not designed to live a long life.

Click on my email and send me the pics....I'll post them for you.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Chickens cannot swim. In fact, if they fall into water over their heads, they will become waterlogged and drown. I don't know about the feather loss, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by