New chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by itsmatt, May 20, 2008.

1. itsmatt

itsmatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Hi,

So my six chicks are here and doing well - the kids think they are cool and so far the dogs have only been mildly interested - it has been a sniff fest when I show them one.

One of them has had pasty butt and I cleaned it off - it was REALLY caked on there! But her backside looks horrible! Everybody else is pretty clean and fluffy while this one's backside is kind of discolored. I've tried to keep the area around the vent clean and put some petroleum jelly (saw someone say that would help) around it. I'm assuming that the critical thing is to keep that area clean and unclogged. How critical is it to scrub the area below that? I'm sure there are some droppings stuck to the fluff and it looks a little gross, but the area around the vent seems clear.

It looks perhaps a little lethargic compared to the others, but seems to be eating and drinking, so I'm not in panic mode, just wondering.

Thanks for the help!

Matt

P.S. - If anyone can take a look at my earlier post at the picture of my mystery chick and give me an idea what it might be, that would be cool. The kids have been asking me about it and I haven't the foggiest.

Take care!

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    HI, sounds like you're doing well. A couple of my chicks from ideal got a teeny bit of pasty butt the first couple of days. I tried to stay on top of it and it hasn't come back. just keep checking and keep them clean (much easier to do when you catch it really early) and they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by