New chick, swollen crop/neck?

Emmaxx

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
UK
Probably not the best picture but one of my new hatchling has a swollen neck/crop, it seemed normal when it first hatched but when I came to take it out of the Incubator I noticed the swelling.
What could be going on? Did I leave it in too long? Or an injury from hatching or afterwards maybe? It's drinking and eating, will it likely just go down in the next day or too or do I need to do anything?
Thanks for any help x

Attachments

• _20170519_125316.JPG
    _20170519_125316.JPG
    588.3 KB · Views: 160
Probably not the best picture but one of my new hatchling has a swollen neck/crop, it seemed normal when it first hatched but when I came to take it out of the Incubator I noticed the swelling.
What could be going on? Did I leave it in too long? Or an injury from hatching or afterwards maybe? It's drinking and eating, will it likely just go down in the next day or too or do I need to do anything?
Thanks for any help x

Hmmm might be a deformity if it was right out of the incubator, or maybe it ate some eggshell? Not sure, looks like sour crop, not too experienced with it, never heard of a newly hatched chick with it, this forum post may help if it is sour crop,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baby-chick-with-sour-crop.672097/

Thank you binki, after reading that I've have tried giving a little olive oil and will see if that helps. It was like that right out of the Incubator but looked just after hatching, which confused me as it hadn't had access to any food or water yet - didn't think about the shells still in there :oops:
From reading that post am I right in thinking impacted crop feels hard and Sour crop feels more squidgy? This feels more like a half inflated balloon :hmm can a crop fill with air?? :confused:

Thank you binki, after reading that I've have tried giving a little olive oil and will see if that helps. It was like that right out of the Incubator but looked just after hatching, which confused me as it hadn't had access to any food or water yet - didn't think about the shells still in there :oops:
From reading that post am I right in thinking impacted crop feels hard and Sour crop feels more squidgy? This feels more like a half inflated balloon :hmm can a crop fill with air?? :confused:

No problem, I don't have experience with a ruptured air sac into crop (if that is what your chick has) but this link is about a bad case for a cockatiel and what they did for treatment after taking it to a vet, the fourth picture KILLED me... Check out the caption LOL!!

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/UDICw

This baby made it!

the fourth picture KILLED me... Check out the caption LOL!!
:lau me too!!
Thank you, I will keep it in mind - I should probably mention here that they are button quails - so the thought of poking something so teeny and wriggly with a needle terrifies me, but now I know it is possible I will try and find out if it will resolve itself given enough time.
Thank you :)

There is NO WAY a newly hatched chick can have sour crop or even impacted crop. Both take time. An impacted crop would be from eating long tangly things (straw, hay, grass etc...) and lots of it. I see food out are you sure it didn't just eat?

It has eaten and drank since being in the brooder where I took the photo, but the problem, whatever it is, was there when I took it out of the Incubator before it had access. So would that suggest the ruptured Air sack into crop thing?

It has eaten and drank since being in the brooder where I took the photo, but the problem, whatever it is, was there when I took it out of the Incubator before it had access. So would that suggest the ruptured Air sack into crop thing?
It usually takes a pretty good trauma to rupture the airsac, but if it were ruptured the air would leak under the skin and blow up the chick like a balloon. To rupture the crop is very unlikely and for the air to find it's way only into the crop would be extremely unlikely as the air sacs and the crop don't touch.

The only thing I can think of that could cause it BEFORE it had access to food or water would be air gulping. I've never had that happen but it is the most plausable thing I can think of. The actual air gulping wouldn't cause any harm, but whatever reason caused it to gulp air could????

What could have caused air gulping? It was the first out of 5 to hatch, at about 11.30, the second didn't hatch til about 3.45 and then waited for that one to dry too, so probably another 4 hours before transferring to the brooder - 8 hours in the Incubator should be fine shouldn't it, even with the warm moist air?
It did scramble round an awful lot during that time, and I had some dividers in there trying to keep them separate from other eggs but they were no match for them, but the other one was just the same and nothing looks unexpected with that one so probably not enough to cause injury to that degree, as you said....

Back
Top Bottom