New chick wants to be part of the flock

badgerpendous

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
Redwood City, CA
We have two 6-week old Barred Rocks and yesterday we picked up a third, but it's only one week old. We had three BR's but one died.
sad.png

We waited a week to be sure the remaining two would be fine and they're doing great. (Thank goodness!)

We put the new chick in a second cage right up against the first so they could see/get used to each other. The new chick constantly PEEPs very loudly over and over and paces up and down the side of the cage against the other cage.

http://twitpic.com/1hr54

The other two birds barely seem interested at all.

My question(s):

How do I know if/when I can put them all together?

Is there anything I can do to calm/reassure/quiet down the lone peep?

Thanks!!!

Try letting them run together under supervision and see what happens. They will peck some, but if it is not too aggressive, should be ok. good luck!
smile.png

I didn't know you could put the little guys in with the big ones when he is so young. I'll be curious to see what other people have to say...
pop.gif

I'd be pretty nervous about putting a chick that tiny in with the older two. Is there any way you can pick up one more little one - and then in a few weeks, maybe try putting all 4 of them together (with supervision)?

I'd LOVE to pick up another chick (or two or three or...) but our city only allows 3 hens (no roosters). So, for now I'm stuck with trying to find a way to calm down the little one.

Thanks!

I think the size difference between your chicks is dangerously high. How about getting another couple of small chicks just for now? You're only allowed 3 hens but generally that rule doesn't apply to chicks. Once they're halfway grown and integrated together, you can keep your 3 favorites and sell the others as pullets.

A brood hen will introduce her chicks to the flock fairly early but she is there to protect them. You should do the same. Put them in together but only while you are there to protect the little one.
You have taken a good first step by letting them get to know of each other. Go ahead and see how they interact.

Quote:
Good idea. Pullets are pretty easy to rehome and the older chicks are more likely to accept a group of 2 or 3 than 1 chick by itself. I would still wait till the younger chick/chicks is older before even trying though. It's pretty helpless right now - can't even run away.

Back
Top Bottom