New chick will not eat, HELP PLEASE )=

baldie

Songster
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Douglas, MA
Hi, I have a silkie that is roughly 3 days old. She will not eat anything. I have been giving her water with vitamins and she will drink only when I dip her beak. I have her in my bedroom on the side table next to my bed so I can hear if she seems in distress or anything. She is an only chick. I had a really bad hatch. She has a stuffed animal to cuddle with.
Is there any way I can make her eat?? I really don't want her to die.
sad.png

Thats what I was thinking. I have silkies under a broody with a hatch date of 3/25. I just dont know if she will make it that long. And her crop is so empty, its almost like she has no idea how to eat. What can I do, if there is no playmate for her?? This really stinks.
sad.png

This is going to sound really crazy, but is there any way that you can keep the chick with you at all times?

I once had a sick chick and became a substitute mom. The chick would fall asleep in my fleece sweatshirt pockets and would receive frequent cuddles. I did have to be very careful not to squish it.

Since it didn't want to eat, I took some mash, mixed it with hard-boiled egg yolk and warm water and used the end of a teaspoon to wobble the food before it. The chick seemed to thrive. At night, I kept it in a covered ten gallon tank which was lined with paper towels. Underneath the tank was a heating pad set to the lowest setting. (The heating pad was under half of the tank so that the chick could move towards the heat and away from it as needed.)

The tank was near me at night or when I couldn't hold the chick. I didn't have a stuffed chicken to put in the tank, so I just used any bird.

I don't know if this will work for you.

Suzy

Thanks Suzy. She is in my hand pressed against me chest right now. She seems healthy other than the not eating part. That is why it is bothering me so much. I will try what you said. I did mix mash with water and she drank some of that, but that is it besides plain water.
Chrissie

Can you mix the mash with warm water and some hard-boiled egg yolk until it's the consistency of oatmeal. Keep feeding her until her crop is full. Be careful that the food goes down the right way because you don't want her to aspirate. You might need to get a warm paper towel to stimulate her so that she goes to the bathroom.

Suzy

hugs.gif

Thanks guys!! SHE ATE!!!
celebrate.gif
I am SOOOOO happy!! I fed her the egg yolk, feed and warm water mix and she has a full crop and is sleeping peacefully as I write!! What a relief. Thanks to all of you who responded. I appreciate it!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom