New chick with bloody stool? Help

djstanczak

Songster
Mar 31, 2017
Yesterday received chicks from breeder. Some were hatched 2 days ago and the one with the bloody stool looks older so I am going to say a week old. First can chicks get cocci that young? Second i know to get Corid but should I treat all, even the two day olds? The only other thing i noticed is her crop is a little full and hard. I am not happy with this breeder as one chick was dead on arrival and the others were very week. We got them warmed up and gave them sugar water, they are eating and drinking but sleep a lot.

I thought they were getting better this morning and my other batch of chicks from a hatchery(all very healthy) arrived this morning. 30 minutes after putting them together the oldest chick from the breeder pooped bloody stool. I immediately moved the hatchery chicks to another brooder and gave the sick chick a drop of Kocci. Now should I get Corid and treat all? I am worried about how young they are.

Well bloody stool denotes coccidiosis.
I guess I would treat the oldest ones as they were to together.
Chickens are susceptible to at least 11 species of coccidia.

The most common species are Eimeria tenella, which causes the cecal or bloody type of coccidiosis, E. necatrix, which causes bloody intestinal coccidiosis, and E. acervulina and E. maxima, which cause chronic intestinal coccidiosis.

Young chickens pick up the infection from contaminated premises (soil, houses, utensils, etc.). These premises may have been contaminated previously by other young infected birds or by adult birds that have recovered from the condition. Wet areas around water fountains are a source of infection.
Oocysts remain viable in litter for many months. In this way, they can contaminate a farm from year to year. Oocysts are killed by freezing, extreme dryness and high temperatures.

Coccidiosis generally occurs more frequently during warmer (May to September) than colder months (October to April) of the year. E. acervulina and E. maxima develop in epithelial cells within the small intestine and generally cause chronic intestinal coccidiosis.

Here is what I would do besides feeding corid to them
FEEDING WET MASH PROBIOTIC MASH TO CHICKENS
Glenda Heywood
May I suggest what I would do for the whole flock....
I have used my WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE for this kind of chickens with coccidiosis.
For this problem I recommend my wet mash probiotic with be given.
I prefer to use the wet mash probiotic that includes chicken feed, water with applesauce
So read on down where I give the recipe
some advice for helping the chicken get over coccidiosis.

today I would see if the chicken will eat a wet mash with the Vitamins E and B complex and selenium: I would fix it for all the chickens, as it will stop
The vitamins will help their bodies become adjusted to the wet mash probiotic mash.

(-B) THIS IS FOR ONE CHICKEN
natural probiotic wet mash
2 tbp of dry crumbles
1 tbsp flax seed meal (the kind people take)
6 tbp of water
2 tbsp of apple sauce
put it on top so the chicken can smell and see it
mix good and put the
vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tabsp and add to the wet mash
Crush the selenium tablet alo add to the mash
**BESURE AND MIX VIT'S VERY GOOD IN WET MASH***

(C Do this once a day for 7 days to see if the chicken is better
then do this once a day for another week.
NOW TAKE OUT THE VITAMINS AND ONLY ADD VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS.
Now feed the wet mash probiotic mash then twice a week for life of chickens
this should give the nervous system some stability and cure the bad E.coli in the gut
(D) they should clean it up in 20-30 minutes
this will help them get good gut flora
also put 2 tbsp of ACV in gallon of water and keep giving them this water for a week straight
then give it 3-5 times a week for life
(E) ALSO FEED WET MASH PROBIOIC RECIPE TO THE HEALTHY CHICKENS.
multiply the amount times the amount of chickens being fed the wet mash probiotic recipe without the vitamins As directed up above.

See More
National Poultry News

Unfortunately the chick with the blood stool was dead when we got home with corid. I put it in the water and have even given some a little stronger through a syringe as a dropper. I am being very careful that they swallow and drink from it like a nipple water. I also got medicated feed but my question is, should they have medicated feed while on corid?

I can only tell you what I do. I don't use medicated feed. The amprolium dose in the feed is very low. It is considered to be a 'preventative' dose. It is not enough to treat an outbreak, for that you have to use the corid medication. I personally prefer to only treat them if they need to be treated. Amprolium is a thiamine blocker, which starves the cocci and they die. My reason for not using medicated chick starter is that I don't want to possibly cause a thiamine deficiency in my growing birds. So I don't use it, and I treat with corid if I have an outbreak. When I'm raising chicks I'm just vigilant in watching for any signs of illness and treating quickly, and vigilant about a clean, dry brooder. I just keep Corid on hand. Whether you choose to use the medicated feed is your decision, many people do use it. And following completed treatment with corid I always follow up with a vitamin supplement that contains thiamine, and probiotics for several days. Hope that helps.

If you used a credit card.... you might be able to get your credit card company to fight for you.... the only bad thing is, the birds are in your possession and they might require you to ship the birds back to her.... But it might be worth a try...
Most chicks do arrive stressed out... but perk up in a day or two....
but blood in the poop I would also guess to say its coccidiosis which they had already when they arrived....

If you used a credit card.... you might be able to get your credit card company to fight for you.... the only bad thing is, the birds are in your possession and they might require you to ship the birds back to her.... But it might be worth a try...
Most chicks do arrive stressed out... but perk up in a day or two....
but blood in the poop I would also guess to say its coccidiosis which they had already when they arrived....

I paid for them months ago with PayPal. It is too late to put in a claim

Thank you for caring and asking. I think they are going to make it. The Corid did the trick, which makes me believe even more it was coccidiosis. I wish I had realized what it was before the second dead chick, I might have been able to save it. I stopped the Corid today but still giving some medicated dry feed and some no medication fermented feed, also giving them nurtri drench vitamins. They kind of scare me sometimes when I walk by and they are sleeping flat out

Back
Top Bottom