New chick with umbilical issues.

I had a chick last summer that had a partially unabsorbed yolk sac, not as bad as yours, but he was a single broody hatch, I went out every evening and collected him from his mama and smeared his umbilical with antibiotic cream. It might help at least to kerp it infection while your chick heals

I have seen that too many times. Humidity factors in the final days. Some make it believe it or not. Some don't.
I would not give up hope. But would be wise to be on a good strong vitamin regiment. I'm guessing in the post hatch the chick was dragging the cord stuck to the shell for a short time. That will aggravate the attached area. Usually we will just crumble the half shell and wait for the cord to dry and fall off.

I have seen that too many times. Humidity factors in the final days. Some make it believe it or not. Some don't.
I would not give up hope. But would be wise to be on a good strong vitamin regiment. I'm guessing in the post hatch the chick was dragging the cord stuck to the shell for a short time. That will aggravate the attached area. Usually we will just crumble the half shell and wait for the cord to dry and fall off.
I was having issues keeping the humidity up. The incubator I used was my first Franken-bator conversion. It used to stay humid with no troubles at all. Now these incubators are as dry as a bone. Its so weird.

That chick may very well make it!! Good reason not to put them down too early.. You did great!

BTW a pair of scissors will do the trick fast. I think its the most humane way and easy. Young chicks necks are not strong at all. No one like putting one down.

That chick may very well make it!! Good reason not to put them down too early.. You did great!

BTW a pair of scissors will do the trick fast. I think its the most humane way and easy. Young chicks necks are not strong at all. No one like putting one down.
I want to see if it dries up more before doing a snip-snip. Wouldn't want to open a blood vessel.

I was having issues keeping the humidity up. The incubator I used was my first Franken-bator conversion. It used to stay humid with no troubles at all. Now these incubators are as dry as a bone. Its so weird.
I'm having a rapid evaporation acceleration this season. I have been filling my channels on day 18 and it has been bone dry on the morning of day 21.
3 different ovens. 2 different manufacturers. I have a lock down I think tomorrow again. It is causing me to babysit more than usual. I'm going to have some rolled up banded wash clothes handy this time.

Back
Top Bottom