New chick won't straighten legs

jrwilson

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
This is my first hatch. I have one chick who scurries on its hocks. I tried to pull his legs straight and they wont straighten. His feet are curled. I placed a boot on him to straighten the toes but i can't figure out what to do about legs not straightening. They do not appear to be spraddle leg.

I would go with some more protein in the diet like a all natural
hard boiled egg twice a day for 3 days minimum, remove the
shell and mash up with a fork and serve but maybe let this
one eat by herself to start so she get's some then give the
rest to the others
smile.png

Hello:
I have the same issue- the legs will not straighten out. What did you end up doing? Did anything help? This one hatched yesterday. He is very energetic but cheeps a lot so am worried that he is in pain.

I tried a number of different things! I'm sorry to say we had to put the chick down. Along with not being able to walk, it could not eat on it's own and I fed it through a dropper. It was not growing. There were a number of things I tried. Poly-vi-sol infant vitamins, hard boiled egg for protein, tried treating for sprayed leg and curled toes by making a brace and chick boots. I had a hard time getting them to work and it just would roll over on it's side and couldn't move. I tried really hard and was very upset when we had to put it down. We just didn't think it was going to get any better. My other chicks were 3x the size and hatched the same day. I would try all the things above and make sure you leave it on shelf liner covered with paper towel. You can monitor it's poops and it will be able to move easier. Separate from other chicks because they will peck at it. Give it some time and see how it does.

I tried a number of different things! I'm sorry to say we had to put the chick down. Along with not being able to walk, it could not eat on it's own and I fed it through a dropper. It was not growing. There were a number of things I tried. Poly-vi-sol infant vitamins, hard boiled egg for protein, tried treating for sprayed leg and curled toes by making a brace and chick boots. I had a hard time getting them to work and it just would roll over on it's side and couldn't move. I tried really hard and was very upset when we had to put it down. We just didn't think it was going to get any better. My other chicks were 3x the size and hatched the same day. I would try all the things above and make sure you leave it on shelf liner covered with paper towel. You can monitor it's poops and it will be able to move easier. Separate from other chicks because they will peck at it. Give it some time and see how it does.

So sorry about the loss of the chick
hit.gif
But it looks like you tried everything you could to help it out but there were just too many issues going on in it's development for any recovery ....

Thanks so much for your response- this is my first time hatching so it has been a bit traumatic to say the least. I attempted the poly vi sol, sugar water, the bandaid brace and tried to give it some boiled egg, but it was not really interested in eating and really seemed like he was in pain. I had to make the right decision for him and it was so sad. I really wish there was something I could have done and I hope it was not my inexperience that caused this to happen. The other chick that hatched is doing great- we ended up going to local feed store to get him/her some friends. These were shipped Jubilee Orpington eggs and had a lot of detached air sac issues from the start.
I have some more eggs in the incubator and am trying to think positive that all will go well.
I just wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question.

You're welcome. I keep telling myself "I'm learning and I'm giving them the best chance at survival that I can." I get attached to the little boogers...they are my babies!

Back
Top Bottom