New chick?

I have hatched and raised 100's and 100's of Buff's and this is not a color I see. What is that?? Look like a cross for sure.
I was wondering if you could tell me what my hen is doing. for the last two days she has been staying in the nest box. Even when the other hen goes in. She doesn't like me to come near. Also she puffs up.

I was wondering if you could tell me what my hen is doing. for the last two days she has been staying in the nest box. Even when the other hen goes in. She doesn't like me to come near. Also she puffs up.
For sure going broody. So, are you going to allow her to set---to hatch? If so you got to remove all eggs under her every day and collect a fresh number of eggs, to put under her a the same time---marked if you are going to leave her with the flock and you will have to look under her every day and remove any unmarked eggs so a staggered hatch(BAD) does not happen. I would look under her every day until the end of day 18 then hands off and let her hatch.

If you do not want her to set----Then I would Suggest you "break" her ASAP.

For sure going broody. So, are you going to allow her to set---to hatch? If so you got to remove all eggs under her every day and collect a fresh number of eggs, to put under her a the same time---marked if you are going to leave her with the flock and you will have to look under her every day and remove any unmarked eggs so a staggered hatch(BAD) does not happen. I would look under her every day until the end of day 18 then hands off and let her hatch.

If you do not want her to set----Then I would Suggest you "break" her ASAP.
I don't have a rooster.

I don't have a rooster.
If you don't have a rooster but still want to hatch eggs under your broody, you can obtain fertilized eggs from a local breeder (or have them shipped in from a farther location, but that exposes them to conditions that will potentially compromise their hatchability).

If you don't have a rooster but still want to hatch eggs under your broody, you can obtain fertilized eggs from a local breeder (or have them shipped in from a farther location, but that exposes them to conditions that will potentially compromise their hatchability).
I would like to get a rooster of the same breed. But its been hard to find one.

So I bought some eggs from a hatchery. It has been three weeks now and the chicks hatched last night. I sometimes see them out front but they are still with the hen.

My eggs from the hatchery hatched sunday and monday. Here is a picture. I was wondering if anyone can give me come ideas as to what breed of chick they could turn out to me.
IMG_0764.JPG

Back
Top Bottom