New chicken- Completely white eye and other eye is tinted.

Lilydv

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2019
I just picked up a new chicken, she’s a 5yr old polish chicken. They said she was vaccinated when she was younger. I didn’t realize til I got home that one eye is completely white and the other is tinted. I was unsure if this was because of sickness or she’s just blind.
A9CA44AD-5DD2-4245-B116-637FBD7BD4D4.jpeg

Attachments

• 889DA463-91D4-4463-8895-FE685F4FC3D5.jpeg
    889DA463-91D4-4463-8895-FE685F4FC3D5.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 9

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Well, unfortunately, she is probably blind in the left eye, and possibly the left. The left may have a cataract which she might see some light and dark or blurry objects. Eye disorders can be a result of ammonia odor from droppings and poor air circulation in the coop, vitamin A or E deficiency, eye injuries or peck wounds, infections, cataracts, exposure to avian encephalomyelitis or AE as a chick, and Mareks disease. A blind chicken would be best in a familiar setting with food and water near her. Other chickens may bully or pick on her. So sorry that you were sold a blind chicken.

Lilydv

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2019
Well, unfortunately, she is probably blind in the left eye, and possibly the left. The left may have a cataract which she might see some light and dark or blurry objects. Eye disorders can be a result of ammonia odor from droppings and poor air circulation in the coop, vitamin A or E deficiency, eye injuries or peck wounds, infections, cataracts, exposure to avian encephalomyelitis or AE as a chick, and Mareks disease. A blind chicken would be best in a familiar setting with food and water near her. Other chickens may bully or pick on her. So sorry that you were sold a blind chicken.
So you don’t think this is linked to any sickness? Any clue how I could get her to eat now?

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom