Pics
Could I use vinyl siding? Plywood siding is 50% of the cost and is easily making this a $1000+ project (and I haven't even made a shopping list for the run)
1640826810819.png

Also, the plans need 3/4" tounge and groove plywood for the ground, but I cant find it at Home Depot or at Lowes. What should i do instead?

Could I use vinyl siding? Plywood siding is 50% of the cost and is easily making this a $1000+ project (and I haven't even made a shopping list for the run) View attachment 2943659
Also, the plans need 3/4" tounge and groove plywood for the ground, but I cant find it at Home Depot or at Lowes. What should i do instead?

Only if you used it over a full box of predator-proof wire. It's weather-proof but not dog, coyote, or raccoon-proof.

This is how I made the sheltered end of my open air coop -- it's a full hardware cloth box with dog-eared fence boards on the outside.

Here it is with some of the wire on the uphill wall.

0827211858.jpg

Here is outside and inside with both the wire and the boards in place:
12158.jpeg

12159.jpeg

Could I use vinyl siding? Plywood siding is 50% of the cost and is easily making this a $1000+ project (and I haven't even made a shopping list for the run) View attachment 2943659
I've never worked with vinyl siding, and I'd cut the fly rafters once I'd rest fit the rest, and figured out how much overhang I was doing on the back.

Only if you used it over a full box of predator-proof wire. It's weather-proof but not dog, coyote, or raccoon-proof.

This is how I made the sheltered end of my open air coop -- it's a full hardware cloth box with dog-eared fence boards on the outside.

Here it is with some of the wire on the uphill wall.

View attachment 2943676

Here is outside and inside with both the wire and the boards in place:
View attachment 2943677
View attachment 2943678
I wonder if it would be cheaper to just have a solid board wall as you did. in my current coop it's plywood, then boards on top. I'm pretty sure both would be cheaper than the t1-11 exterior siding

Great coop btw

I wonder if it would be cheaper to just have a solid board wall as you did. in my current coop it's plywood, then boards on top. I'm pretty sure both would be cheaper than the t1-11 exterior siding

Great coop btw

Thank you. An open air coop is particularly suited for my climate where 95-95 weather is the norm from mid-June into September (95F at 95% humidity).

The fence boards are cheap in both price and quality. They are not suited as anything other than the windbreak-wall the way I used them because they are thin, low-grade wood. This is why we have the full wire enclosure. When, not if but when, they deteriorate they're easy to replace. :)

If we hadn't used the wire + fenceboard we'd have gone for Hardieboard due to potential rot and wood-destroying insect issues.

Back
Top Bottom