Unfortnately, some of this is climate and use specific - I can't give a one size fits all answer -

Good point. General recommendations and guidelines are *guidelines*, not hard-and-fast rules.

Case in point -- I was talking to my brother-in-law, after giving him the pick of a handful of chickens from my flock when his coop is ready as his Christmas present, and told him that I have found that the recommended minimum of 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen is inadequate in our climate -- unless the coop either has a monitor roof or is located in deep shade.

I have a coop with triple the recommended venting that is still hard to keep cool enough in midsummer because the flat roof doesn't lend itself to good airflow.

I've gone with "whatever the overhang on the roof panels, so i don't have to cut them." then mostly selected building sizes to account for off the shelf roof panels.

Yes. This being how I ended up with the 4-foot overhang on my big coop's uphill side. It's great for dry storage of equipment.

For the floor deck, the plan asks for 2 – 3/4″ tongue and groove plywood – 4’x8′ sheet, which my lumber yard and Home Depot do not supply. I can rather get Tongue and groove, or 3/4" plywood. Should I just get the 3/4" plywood without tongue and groove?

(This is for the floor)

I'm not fond of floors in coops at all - but in all likelihood, your local lowes and home depot have 3/4" OSB subfloor which has largely replaced plywood in subfloor construction.

Your local lumberyard likely has similar.

I am ALSO not fond of OSB - but if you protect it adequately, its not really worse (and better in ways insignificant in a chicken coop) than an equivalent thickness plywood.

Depends on the lumber yard......doubt they'd be found in a big box store.
Home Depot has them

1640799029384.png

That's red cedar...look the price and compare to typical fir/pine 2x4's.

I wasn't going to get the red cedar, I was just showing that they have 10-foot boards. I'm going to get 12-foot boards so I can get some overhang on the sides, then I need to draw up how to add the fly rafters in the front.

Is there any substitute for t1-11 exterior siding? I know that it's really expensive and the plan requires 8 sheets. (That's $400+)

Any better options for siding?

Back
Top Bottom