New Chicken doesnt seem healthy

GardenCatCottag

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
LaMarque,Tx
After my beloved Henrietta vanished. I got the only female bantam the feed store had yesterday and named her LuLu. She had been in a pen with 5 roosters. She looked rough. Once I got her home I gave her scratch and layena and plenty of water. She has not had a solid poop yet all watery. She looked dirty so I gave her a warm bath and dried her this morning. I put her in the gaden to roam and she just stood in one spot and didnt move. She did catch and eat a mosquito that flew by. I am concerned she is unwell and not sure if its just stress and settling in. Also she seems thin.

Henrietta was perfect in every way and I never had any issues with her. LuLu is a very diferent bird and I want to get her healthy and happy.

What should I do?

Try adding 5mL of apple cider vinegar to 1L of water. If she had runny poop this will help with digestive and immune systems. I hope this helps and lulu is ok :)

She is probably very stressed, underfed, overloved and just plain afraid to move when she is out of a cage. Sort of like a pound puppy or a petshop puppy..when you bring them home, they have no idea how to behave.

I would give her plenty of high protein foods, scrambled egg, mealworms, yogurt. I don't think I would add scratch...it is not very nutricious. Do you have a cage top that you could take her outside and let him learn about grass and the big world while still being surrounded by walls? That might help her accimate better.

Geez, I forgot to add, some vitamins and electrolytes...like sav a chick wouldn't hurt to add to her water for a while.

Last edited:
The lady at the feed store though that Lulu was depressed because she was away from the flock. I thought it sounded kinda hockey . Anyway when I went home Lulu was sitting on my husbands shoulder. He said he liked her and he didnt want me taking her back. I tried giving her food ,water, electrolytes, she wouldnt have any of it. As a last resort my husband had a cold beer sitting there. I poured just a dab into a butter lid and she gobbled it up. Hopped in her coop and laid an egg. I then bought 2 more hens to keep her company and she seems to be doing great. she follows me around and likes to get in my lap and be pet. she really likes sitting on our shoulders like a parrot. she has really turned out to be a great bird.

Wonderful!!! I didn't notice that this thread was older...I'm so glad that she is doing well and settled in so nicely with her new family :)

Back
Top Bottom