New Chicken Enthusiast

Chicks & Kids

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2018
Hi! I am the new owner of four Barred Rock and three Buff Orpington chicks. I had no idea how much I would fall in love with them in just the three weeks that I have had them!

We are entering chicken ownership with the idea of providing eggs for our family and some relatives as well as the education and fun of pet ownership for our kids.

I've been researching and learning a lot from this site so I decided I better join now that I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks for letting me join!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Buffs and Barred Rocks are fun birds! Great layers, hardy, love attention. I hope they continue to bring you great joy.

upload_2017-7-20_20-7-48.gif

:frowWelcome to BYC!
Chickens have a way of making you fall in live right off the bat!!
Thanks for joining. You have come to the right place!

There are alot of amazing people that are willing to help with whatever they can, you can also go

Check out the Learning Center it has tons of great information and articles for just fun reads!

Enjoy!​

Thank-you for the welcomes! I did not expect that but truly appreciate it! I LOVE my 2 Orpington Buffs - sweet, friendly ladies! My 2 Rhode Island Reds do not like to be pet as much but will still come when called and eat from my hand.
***BIG HEARTBREAK - I lost one of my truly beautiful Barred Plymouth Rock Pullut Hens because she, Roxy started crowing! And now named Rocky, he won’t stop! He has started attacking my 12 year old son, who is a couple inches taller than me about 1 1/2 week ago. Yesterday, Rocky the “RUDE-STER” attached both my son and my husband (which I couldn’t help but enjoy watching hubby run like he was being chased by a Tasmanian Devil ‍♂️⬅️⬅️). Now, today he snuck up on me and bit my leg! I love Rocky but cannot have him attacking us or especially any visiting children and other guests. And now my older sons and their girlfriends will not come by!
I have a wonderful farm only 5 minutes away that offered to take Rocky, but I will miss him so, so much! It was only about 2 - 3 weeks ago when he stopped allowing me to hold and pet him.
I will still have the two sweet Orpington Buffs - Pippy and Marilyn Monroe, two skittish Rhode Island Reds - Lucille Ball and Rosie, and poor odd gal out Barred Plymouth Rock, Connie-Stella because she looks like a constellation of stars on a clear night, she is also a sweetheart and enjoys my company.
They are all free range on 1/2 acre without a lot of hiding places. I have built some due to a heavy hawk population this past summer and one of my dogs watches out for them like they were her own pups but even she is backing off due to Rocky the Rude-ster!
We are starting to add a run enclosure after Saturday but my bed is pounding from all the foundation materials that so many people use and actually argue about.
Well bye for now from a throbbing, heartbroken over Rude-ster.

Back
Top Bottom