OliverDeer

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Owned a dove since 2017 and fell head over heels in love. Her care is simple and the more time I spent dedicated to interaction and free-flight (within my open-plan home), the more she trusted me and sought out affection. I thoroughly enjoy crafting foraging toys for her and watching her explore and delight in what she finds.

Of all of the positives associated with dove ownership, there is one downside to Sugar (my diamond dove's name). She finds moving hands frightening! As long as I hold still and allow her to approach my hand on her own terms, she's delightfully affectionate. "Preening" between my fingers and cuddling up for warmth. But heavens, if I move my palm? Too big! Too scary! I want so badly to be able to pet her, but I know she's far too spooked by the size of the thing approaching her to allow it. I miss having an animal companion that tolerates/enjoys being held!

Between 2020 and 2021, I began researching a variety of pet birds, their care and tolerance levels for humans. Ringneck doves, pigeons, finches, quail, and eventually, chickens. Quickly came to the conclusion that I didn't want to impose on my current dove's security/confidence by adding annother indoor-only bird. (She tolerates the presence of other small birds, but in the long-term becomes rescource-defensive.) That's how I landed on chickens!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

A big, fat zero. Still in the planning phase for my coop and run.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Whent hunting for breeds with specific traits:
  • Confidence/sturdyness so that if a child comes around they won't spook or be easily injured
  • Have a medium to large stature to not be viable prey to the local hawks
  • Come in black (Crows/blackbirds/ravens are long-standing rivals for hawks. Having a black chicken in the flock can be a significant deterrent) or have a marking pattern that makes them easily camouflaged
I eventually settled on the Jersey Giant and found a reputable breeder within my state.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

For me, its having a companion animal that enjoys my presence, is intractable, and has relatively simple care needs. There are so many little diy constructions that make daily chicken care accessible to those of us with mental health issues, so I'm forever grateful to the folks that taught me how to make it easier on myself.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

In no particular order: miniature painting, drawing, writing, sculpting, cross-stitch, dioramas, punch-needle, herb gardening, video games, table-top war games, ttrpgs, reading, house plants, and cartoons
I'm lucky enough that my spouse and I are both into a lot of the same things. We both dabble in a lot for the sake of creativity!

6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Currently renting my grandmother's old house from my dad, but we plan to buy it as soon as we can afford to do so. Luckily, he doesn't mind us living up the place with plants and critters!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Stumbled across this forum while doing research on baby chicks two years ago. This site was referenced a few times in the dos don'ts of new chick care.
I finally thought I'd join because myself and my spouse are activly saving up for materials to build our coop! Looking forward to sharing the process and finding useful rescources.

Last edited:
Welcome to the BYC! My family has had a pet dove since 2002 (he's 21 now!) They are truly amazing animals. Ours would often "crow" and attack our cats when he was younger :lau
After growing up around the dove, I fell in love with birds in general and in a roundabout way, that led us to the little farm we have now! I'm sure you will throughly enjoy your girls when they come. Just a warning though, Jerseys are big diva talkers! 😂

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Owned a dove since 2017 and fell head over heels in love. Her care is simple and the more time I spent dedicated to interaction and free-flight (within my open-plan home), the more she trusted me and sought out affection. I thoroughly enjoy crafting foraging toys for her and watching her explore and delight in what she finds.

Of all of the positives associated with dove ownership, there is one downside to Sugar (my diamond dove's name). She finds moving hands frightening! As long as I hold still and allow her to approach my hand on her own terms, she's delightfully affectionate. "Preening" between my fingers and cuddling up for warmth. But heavens, if I move my palm? Too big! Too scary! I want so badly to be able to pet her, but I know she's far too spooked by the size of the thing approaching her to allow it. I miss having an animal companion that tolerates/enjoys being held!

Between 2020 and 2021, I began researching a variety of pet birds, their care and tolerance levels for humans. Ringneck doves, pigeons, finches, quail, and eventually, chickens. Quickly came to the conclusion that I didn't want to impose on my current dove's security/confidence by adding annother indoor-only bird. (She tolerates the presence of other small birds, but in the long-term becomes rescource-defensive.) That's how I landed on chickens!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
A big, fat zero. Still in the planning phase for my coop and run.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Whent hunting for breeds with specific traits:
  • Confidence/sturdyness so that if a child comes around they won't spook or be easily injured
  • Have a medium to large stature to not be viable prey to the local hawks
  • Come in black (Crows/blackbirds/ravens are long-standing rivals for hawks. Having a black chicken in the flock can be a significant deterrent) or have a marking pattern that makes them easily camouflaged
I eventually settled on the Jersey Giant and found a reputable breeder within my state.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
For me, its having a companion animal that enjoys my presence, is intractable, and has relatively simple care needs. There are so many little diy constructions that make daily chicken care accessible to those of us with mental health issues, so I'm forever grateful to the folks that taught me how to make it easier on myself.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
In no particular order: miniature painting, drawing, writing, sculpting, cross-stitch, dioramas, punch-needle, herb gardening, video games, table-top war games, ttrpgs, reading, house plants, and cartoons
I'm lucky enough that my spouse and I are both into a lot of the same things. We both dabble in a lot for the sake of creativity!

6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Currently renting my grandmother's old house from my dad, but we plan to buy it as soon as we can afford to do so. Luckily, he doesn't mind us living up the place with plants and critters!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Stumbled across this forum while doing research on baby chicks two years ago. This site was referenced a few times in the dos don'ts of new chick care.
I finally thought I'd join because myself and my spouse are activly saving up for materials to build our coop! Looking forward to sharing the process and finding useful rescources.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom