New chicken family in MA

We received our very tired babies yesterday! And ended up with a bonus chick! 6 Jerseys: 2 splash, 2 black, 2 gray. They all survived the trip here and the first night and seem quite content. Eating, drinking, pooping, and peeping! Day 2 and they are much stronger. One chirps a lottt more than the others. Temp and food and water all good, no visible issues, chirping isn't stressed sounding, so I am just assuming she is either wanting momma, wanting attention, or just wants to be the one to rule the roost! If you all know of another reason, let me know. Here are some favorite pics.

IMG_2874.jpg
IMG_2852.jpg
IMG_2871.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 2
Glad to meet you - greetings from another Massachusetts chickenator! I am just south of Boston. Best wishes with your new flock and plans. Good for you for doing research ahead of chickens! :highfive:

I was surprised how much I had to do to bring ambient temperature up to where it needed to be with my brooder. Be sure to set the brooder up at least 24 hours ahead of the chicks' arrival. Use a thermometer to help you see if you have it warm enough, though the chicks' behavior will also tell you if it's warm enough, too warm or just right. I suppose you have seen the cute illustrations:
1651285665156.png

Glad to meet you - greetings from another Massachusetts chickenator! I am just south of Boston. Best wishes with your new flock and plans. Good for you for doing research ahead of chickens! :highfive:

I was surprised how much I had to do to bring ambient temperature up to where it needed to be with my brooder. Be sure to set the brooder up at least 24 hours ahead of the chicks' arrival. Use a thermometer to help you see if you have it warm enough, though the chicks' behavior will also tell you if it's warm enough, too warm or just right. I suppose you have seen the cute illustrations:
View attachment 3085507
Nice illustration...mine are definitely content then. We have a heating plate and also a lamp which kind of acts as a secondary warm spot. So they sleep in either area. There are cooler areas they use sometimes when they are up and about. I wonder when I should turn the lamp off at night...I assume in the next couple of days. I will read more. South of Boston here too. Glad we are pulling out of this cold snap. Thanks for reaching out! Good to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom