New Chicken Family in New England with lots of Coop Questions!

Chickenfam113

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
Updated to add a little more information:::: New Chicken family and I have lots of questions I’m hoping to find some answers to as we establish our coop. We purchased a coop with a run attached from tractor supply and we are in the process of painting it and putting it together. We got the Precision XL Coop (says it would accommodate 10-15 chickens) but we only have 6 chicks at this time and if we added anymore we would add another coop.

1. As I understand, we should dig out around the base of where we intend to put the coop and run and install chicken wire in about an 18in perimeter around the base and then bury it to prevent predators from digging under the run. We are going to put the coop/run on a wood frame base for additional support. Is this the best method to keep predators out?

2. What should we use in the coop for a base/bedding? We purchased some linoleum to line the coop flooring but what should go on top of that? (We are located in New England, so we will have cold winters)

3. What should we use for the base of the run? Pros and cons to sand or deep litter method .. or any other recommendations?

4. Suggestions for what to use as a board below the roosting bars for easier cleanup??

5. Recommendations for feeder and waterer that require minimal maintenance (and a heater for the water in the winter)?? Hoping to have something that our elementary aged kids can help with as this is supposed to be an experience in responsibility for them as well.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Picture of the coop we got.
1652103305039.png

Last edited:
New Chicken family and I have lots of questions I’m hoping to find some answers to as we establish our coop. We purchased a coop with a run attached from tractor supply and we are in the process of painting it and putting it together.

1. As I understand, we should dig out around the base of where we intend to put the coop and run and install chicken wire in about an 18in perimeter around the base and then bury it to prevent predators from digging under the run. We are going to put the coop/run on a wood frame base for additional support. Is this the best method to keep predators out?

2. What should we use in the coop for a base/bedding? We purchased some linoleum to line the coop flooring but what should go on top of that? (We are located in New England, so we will have cold winters)

3. What should we use for the base of the run? Pros and cons to sand or deep litter method .. or any other recommendations?

4. Suggestions for what to use as a board below the roosting bars for easier cleanup??

5. Recommendations for feeder and waterer that require minimal maintenance (and a heater for the water in the winter)?? Hoping to have something that our elementary aged kids can help with as this is supposed to be an experience in responsibility for them as well.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to BYc! :welcome
I will help with what I can.

2. I am in NE as well. We use Pine Shavings and fresh hay on top of that. Our coop is insulated so it keeps them nice and warm during the harsh winters.

3. I don’t put anything in my run. I know a lot of people put sand to help prevent muddy runs. I free range my flock for the bulk of the day so it is just not needed for
me.

Chicken wire is not very strong.
Hardware cloth would be much better.

People making an "apron" like that usually skip the digging. Just fasten the wire to the coop, and lay it outward along the ground. Maybe stake it down it if tries to stick up. Grass & weeds grow through it in time, making it invisible.

I have never done it myself, so I'm going by what I've read. I know that any wire in contact with the ground will rust and fall apart over time (hardware cloth slower than chicken wire.) Having it on the surface obviously makes it easier to check the condition, along with easier to install and easier to replace.

Supposedly, predators do not realize they are standing on it, and do not realize they can back up and dig underneath. Since I have no direct experience, I have no way to check that.

Welcome to BYC and the world of chickens. Smart of you to be doing your research and asking questions.

Your link didn't show the precise coop you bought, but I have to tell you that TSC doesn't carry ANY coops that actually hold the number of chickens they claim to hold (some are so small that the really aren't fit for any chickens at all), and you're going to have to, at the least, modify it to add ventilation.

Here's some general information about space requirements for you:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
These are not hard-and-fast RULES, but they are good guidelines. Also they are suggested minimums and severe winters are one of the reasons why you might want extra space.

Here's an article on keeping chickens in cold climates: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

To get to your specific questions:

Some people install wire ~12" deep in a vertical trench, but it's much easier to put in 18-24" of hardware cloth as a horizontal apron -- staking down the edges and either covering it with mulch or letting the grass grow up through it.

0827211219a-jpg.3012652

The most commonly used bedding is pine shavings. They're absorbent, lightweight, readily-available, and easy to handle. But there are a myriad of other options: Straw, wood pellets, wood chips, shredded paper, and more. Each has it's pros and cons.

Here's my article on using Deep Bedding in the coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

However, one of the drawbacks of the majority of prefab coops is that they aren't deep enough to hold a really good, deep layer of bedding. :(

Coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree-trimming service, are often considered the gold standard for controlling both odor and mud. However, any dry organic material -- or a mix of different materials -- will do.

Fall leaves are a particularly valuable addition to the run -- though you do have to watch to make sure that they don't form mats.

I'm not experienced with poop boards, but @DobieLover and @aart are.

I like the traditional, metal hanging feeder with the deep pan and the rolled lip to minimize waste.

1604358730013-png.2396886

I like horizontal nipple waterers because the water stays clean.

It's irrelevant in my climate, but they are reputed to work well with deicers. Premier 1 makes a heated version: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?criteria=waterer

Welcome to BYc! :welcome
I will help with what I can.

2. I am in NE as well. We use Pine Shavings and fresh hay on top of that. Our coop is insulated so it keeps them nice and warm during the harsh winters.

3. I don’t put anything in my run. I know a lot of people put sand to help prevent muddy runs. I free range my flock for the bulk of the day so it is just not needed for
me.
Thanks for the tips!

Welcome to BYC and the world of chickens. Smart of you to be doing your research and asking questions.

Your link didn't show the precise coop you bought, but I have to tell you that TSC doesn't carry ANY coops that actually hold the number of chickens they claim to hold (some are so small that the really aren't fit for any chickens at all), and you're going to have to, at the least, modify it to add ventilation.

Here's some general information about space requirements for you:

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
These are not hard-and-fast RULES, but they are good guidelines. Also they are suggested minimums and severe winters are one of the reasons why you might want extra space.

Here's an article on keeping chickens in cold climates: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

To get to your specific questions:

Some people install wire ~12" deep in a vertical trench, but it's much easier to put in 18-24" of hardware cloth as a horizontal apron -- staking down the edges and either covering it with mulch or letting the grass grow up through it.

0827211219a-jpg.3012652

The most commonly used bedding is pine shavings. They're absorbent, lightweight, readily-available, and easy to handle. But there are a myriad of other options: Straw, wood pellets, wood chips, shredded paper, and more. Each has it's pros and cons.

Here's my article on using Deep Bedding in the coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

However, one of the drawbacks of the majority of prefab coops is that they aren't deep enough to hold a really good, deep layer of bedding. :(

Coarse wood chips, the sort you get from a tree-trimming service, are often considered the gold standard for controlling both odor and mud. However, any dry organic material -- or a mix of different materials -- will do.

Fall leaves are a particularly valuable addition to the run -- though you do have to watch to make sure that they don't form mats.

I'm not experienced with poop boards, but @DobieLover and @aart are.

I like the traditional, metal hanging feeder with the deep pan and the rolled lip to minimize waste.

1604358730013-png.2396886

I like horizontal nipple waterers because the water stays clean.

It's irrelevant in my climate, but they are reputed to work well with deicers. Premier 1 makes a heated version: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?criteria=waterer
Thanks so much for all of this information! I did update my post to provide the coop information and we have 6 chicks. Appreciate your time.

Thanks so much for all of this information! I did update my post to provide the coop information and we have 6 chicks. Appreciate your time.

I'm going to link this thread for you because that coop is much too small for 6. :(

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

6 hens need:
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice

Back
Top Bottom