New Chicken Farmer from Driftless, WI

FarmBurl

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
Wisconsin
HI, all! I've been gardening and raising dogs, cats, kids and a husband for years, now but for some reason was always a little nervous about getting chickens... I pick up my day-olds today from our local farm supply store (Silver-Laced Wyandotte)! My kids are very excited! They've even helped me select a couple of different breeds that will round out our flock nicely when they arrive in July (Barnevelder and Easter Egger). Hoping that all of their mild temperaments will mesh well.

I'm currently working with a big cardboard brooder box set up and trolling Pinterest looking at all of those beautiful re-purposed dressers! :love My biggest concerns have been with our weather, but all of the posts I've read here have already helped so much with that!! My next challenge will be to build a coop - So happy to be a part of this awesome community!

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
Get busy on the coop...they grow super fast!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

CURRENT COOP CONTEST click here >>#1

The 9th Annual BYC Easter Hatchalong!

:welcome so glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your own baby chicks.

Ditto on getting your coop plans going, they grow so very fast and will be ready to move to their forever home in 5-6 weeks.

Before you get the newbies in July, do explore the articles and threads on integrating new chicks to the flock. You will need to keep the July babies separated at first and have a plan on how to merge the two ages together.

welcometoBYC.jpeg

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

You will enjoy the baby chicks

G’Day from down under FarmBurl :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These might be of particular interest to you:
Topic/Question of the week - Brooding and supplementing heat for chicks
Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks
Topic of the Week - Integrating Chicks into an Adult Flock

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:welcome BYC is a very interesting and useful site when you are in need for information. There are a lot of different forums that are really hard to choose from!;) Getting baby chicks is exciting and can also be worrying when it is the first time! Please update on your chicks and we will be happy to see them when they turn to beautiful chickens! Again, Welcome!:wee

Back
Top Bottom