New chicken getting attacked

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mom2landj, Mar 1, 2014.

1. mom2landj

mom2landj Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    I introduced 2 hens to my flock yesterday. I have 9 hens all red sexlinks. The new ones are of similar age. One is a white breed and can hold her own. The other is this smaller red and she is having a rough time as you can see. For the time being I put all of them except her outside so she can get a break for a bit. Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    You need to bathe the wound with warm salty water and apply purple spray to keep the germs out and disguise the blood. You could maybes try putting some anti peck spray on her to see if that keeps them away but if not then you should separate her with her friend until she has healed and then re introduce them.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It would be best for all involved to fence off part of the run, or otherwise enclose an area, for the two new birds. Let them stay separate for several weeks so everyone can get used to each other without attacking. They can sleep in the coop in a dog crate. Chickens do NOT like newcomers and a long, slow introduction is always best when integrating new birds into a small flock.

4. mom2landj

Mar 16, 2013
    It's so cold here (upstate NY). I only got these birds because my friends had three and just couldn't keep them warm enough. One died. I checked them over before I put them in with my birds as I lost one to lice/mites a few weeks ago. I've also introduced birds before but it was summer then and it was 6 new to 5 old so there weren't too many issues. My birds free range. So when it's not 10 degrees they are free to go in and out. I'm going to put the dog crate in for them for the night. Tomorrow it's supposed to snow so they won't want to be outside. I feel bad keeping them in a crate all day but I guess it will be better than getting her head pecked off. My husband is getting "anti-peck ointment" or pine tar right now so hopefully that helps. Has anyone ever tried to bandage these types of wounds?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  5. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Give them mixed corn before bed, it will help keep them warm. Maybes you could let them out tomorrow but just supervise them if thats possible. I would bother with the bandaging, I would just use purple spray. Hope all goes well for you, keep us posted.

6. mom2landj

Mar 16, 2013
    What is purple spray? I got anti peck stuff. Is that the same thing?

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
  8. ScottyChic

ScottyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Cafarmgirl - I totally agree with all you've said and yes that is definitely the best way forward.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't try to bandage it, just put some Blu Kote on it and keep her separate. The Blu Kote is antiseptic but do keep a close eye on it of course. I'd probably keep her on straw or large flake shavings until that heals up some, you don't want her doing any dust bathing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by