New Chicken Intro: A Twist

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by catballouu, May 19, 2010.

1. catballouu

catballouu New Egg

May 19, 2010
    Until about 2 weeks ago, my husband and I had a flock of 6 girls, all different breeds. They free-range all day long with regular feedings and kitchen scraps and then have a nice, secure warm coop for sleep/nighttime. Our Rhode Island (aka "Red," my favorite girl) decided to hop the fence one day and the dog on the other side got her and killed her. We asked the dog owner/neighbor if we could go get the carcass and also filled her in on what happened. A few days later, a NEW hen was in our yard. The neighbor replaced the dead chicken. (We were totally fine with 5 chickens and never asked the neighbor to replace the one her dog killed. Hey, if the chicken hops the fence ...) Anyways, this new chicken looks like a mix of about 4 different breeds and we've nicknamed her "RoadRunner" since she is so dang fast. She's not been accustomed to humans judging by her behavior and looks shocked whenever we are in the backyard and the rest of the girls run over to us and then follow us everywhere. She is slooooowly adjusting. Time will tell, but until then, a few questions:

1. Do all hens lay eggs? We are reasonably certain that she isn't laying, although we've seen her in the nesting box and then in the coop where the nesting box is watching our Brahma lay. Interesting dynamic. The RoadRunner loves the Brahma, for some odd odd reason.
    2. Should we be introducing some sort of preventative antibiotic to the flock since we have no idea the conditions this new girl came from? If so, what?
    3. In general, what should we be giving the flock to help prevent mites or lice or whatever?
    4. She appears to be at least a year -- will a hen that age mix well with a more established, older flock?

Thanks ahead of time to everyone who answers! I really appreciate any insight or similar stories and your experiences with strange chicken events!

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    If roadrunner had anything like mites or a disease she would have already spread it unfortunately.
    At night can you grab her and look her all over.
    If it is mites you may see them running around
    Check her legs for any raised scales as that could be leg mites
    Smell around her face for any odours.
    She make take a while to lay as any upset to a chicken stresses them a bit
    Give her time and she will lay for you
    You have great neighbors for giving you a chicken after what has happened. You read nightmare situations on this forum at time with neighbors lol
    Good luck

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think those neighbors mean very well. I think i would be sending them a box of eggs! It was a generous thing to do. A little late to quarentine, and you seem to have gotten lucky. I think the new one will settle down quickly. mk

4. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    WOW sounds like you have some really nice neighbors. It takes a lot for someone to admit their wrong, but even when they aren't wrong to replace your girl is pretty cool. I agree a carton of eggs would be in their future if they were my neighbors. You want to keep neighbors like that lol.

As for roadrunner, she will settle down and acclamate eventually. She will see how things are done, and realize hey those humans are pretty cool. I would just give her time. And getting her at night would be what I would do too. Do a real good once over.

GOOD LUCK!

5. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I would still quarantine the new girl. I have learned the hard way about introducing diseases to the flock. diseases are transmitted in a variety of ways and some take time to get the right conditions to be transmitted to another chicken. It is like the difference between you being stuck in a room with someone who has a cold for a few minutes vs. a few hours. Same for other viruses, bacteria, protazoans, mites, etc.

I would keep in a dog crate far from your existing flock for a month of 45 days (can't remember the exact suggestion). It is a worthwhile precaution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by