new chicken-lady :D

kirachick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Marton, New Zealand

Hello everyone!
I'm a german girl, living on a farm in New Zealand and a friend of mine introduced me to my first baby chickens about 6 months ago. He bought an incubator and i started looking after them when they hatch :)
Unfortunately my first 17 chickens were killed by a neighbours dog when we went on holiday, so now i've got only two left (rooster and hen).
They are both mixed breeds, with a bit of RIR in them.
Since yesterday we got a new chicken (6days old - still under the heatlamp, living currently in a shoebox in my office).
The little guy was the only one out of 20 that hatched.

Well, i'm happy i found this page to get some helpful information!! (Already read my way through a lot of threats :D)

Kira

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Awe! He is adorable!! Good luck with them!

Welcome to our community!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Sorry to hear about your losses! See if you can find the little guy a chick friend for company. Chickens are very social creatures and they generally do much better with company. He's still way too young to be introduced to the adults, that could be done when he's about 3-4 months old only. There are some lovely brooder designs and ideas in the
Coops section, for when he outgrows the shoe box :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry for your losses. If you can't find another little guy to raise with this baby, you can put some small stuffed animals in with him, a small mirror so he thinks he is not alone, even an over turned feather duster propped up in the corner for him to snuggle into will help him to live by himself. Give him lots of attention so he is not lonely.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Thanks everyone! :)

I'm already busy drawing my "dream-chicken-coop"! Since we got heaps of space it will propably be quite a big indoor area (so everyone has a place on the roosting sticks (or whatever you call them :D) and I got space to raise little chickens in a box in the chickenhouse itself (with a heatlamp for the little ones).
Then an area with netting around it (about 4x5m) and then they will share the outside area with the mismothered lambs we get every year which is about 30x50m and just needs to be "chicken proofed" :)

I will propably draw everything first and then see what other ideas everyone here has! :)

Thanks for the idea for my little chicken!! We are still hoping to get at least one more out of the incubator, but i doubt it...
He's getting loads of attention at the moment and my idea was to have a little netting cage in the big box with the three weeks old chickens so he can at least see an hear them. Would that work?

Thanks for your help everyone! :) Already feeling like home ;-)

Welcome to BYC, Kira! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom