New Chicken Lover!

kest3hens

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
jumpy.gif

My name is Karen and am enjoying my 10 new chicks who were born on the 4th of July! Despite our hot weather we are having here in Ohio, I spend lots of time sitting with my babies. They are so interesting to watch and I love it when they venture onto my lap for extra attention. My husband, Rolf and I , are empty nesters and already have had 3 goats living in our barn for the last nine years. I have always wanted chickens but thought they would be too much work with a full time job, etc. Now I plan on working part time so decided it was time to make the move and make a coop in our barn.
My coop is 7 x 11 feet. Their outdoor run is 26' by 18'. Since my chicks are only three weeks old, I haven't let them go outside yet. I have read I can do that at 4 weeks. Does that sound right?
I have 2 Welsummer Bantams, 1 Buff Orpington, 4 Delawares, 2 Plymouth Rocks and 1 Golden Laced Wyandot. Hopefully, all are female since they were sexed. If I decide to add more, how soon can I introduce the new chicks to the original 10 I have now??
I am so excited to find this site and can't wait to hear suggestions. Oh, what is the "poop catcher" I have seen mentioned to put under the roosts?
I will post pictures soon. I love being a new chicken mom!!!

Last edited:
welcome! i'm a new chicken mommy too! My mom has chickens, ducks, dogs, and a cat and use to have goats. so she is a good resource of info for me about chickens! She lives in the country, I'm in the city. Hopefully, I will have good luck with my girls without any neighbor complaints! My girls are officially one day old and appear very healthy and active! Best of luck to you!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom