New chicken mama to come

Harveyby

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2021
Hello all. I am Beverly and from Florida. I am waiting for my first flock to arrive the week of May 17th. I have ordered a mixed flock of mainly banana for my urban homestead. We just received approval from the city! Yay! I am here to learn about chickens so I will be a good mama to them. Any words of wisdom? Advice? Attached is a pic of one of the breeds ordered (Batman size).

Attachments

• Studio_WCBPlshBtmPlt_7393_b.jpg
    Studio_WCBPlshBtmPlt_7393_b.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 5
Hello, Beverly, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

If you have not done so already, I would build the coop and run and have it ready for when they arrive. Also search the Coop articles for open-air design. You would do well using that design in Florida. Don't build to the recommended absolute minimums. Make the coop and run as large as you can.
Once you have the coop completely predator-proof, you can brood the chicks directly in the coop. They always do better that way. I would invest in a brooder plate not heat lamp.

Hello, Beverly, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

If you have not done so already, I would build the coop and run and have it ready for when they arrive. Also search the Coop articles for open-air design. You would do well using that design in Florida. Don't build to the recommended absolute minimums. Make the coop and run as large as you can.
Once you have the coop completely predator-proof, you can brood the chicks directly in the coop. They always do better that way. I would invest in a brooder plate not heat lamp.
Thanks Tonya! I ordered a coop that should be here this week. We will make modifications to the weather here in FL. The broader will be set up in our guest room. I really want to watch them grow. As they get bigger and stronger I will place in the coop. My broader plate have arrived! Now just the wait for the chickadees.😊

Back
Top Bottom