New Chicken Mama!

ChickMama85

Hatching
Jun 13, 2016
Hello! We just hatched our first batch of chicks. Our first incubation was unsuccessful and none of our eggs hatched. This time, 6 of 12 pipped, 5 were successful and one died in the shell. One of our 5 Seemed to have a neurological issue and had tremors. It also had a deformed wing and leg. We tried to help him for 2 days, but it was clear that it couldn't survive on its own, so we put him down gently.
1f62a.png
. Our other 4 are healthy and thriving and we adore them! Where can I post pictures of them to identify their breed? What can I look for as far as determining their gender as they grow? I have been a reader for a long time and use lots of tips from here for a successful 2nd incubation.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry about your first hatch being unsuccessful. These things do happen some times. As for this hatch and the chick with tremors, this can be caused from genetics, incubator issues or even AE, Avian Encephalomyelitis which causes tremors. It is a form of brain swelling.

BUT...I am happy to hear the others are doing so well! When they are at least 6 to 8 weeks of age, they should really start to develop either male or female characteristics. Before this time, it can be difficult to tell sex unless they can be color sexed. Anyway here is the link to our What Breed and Gender forums... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy all your babies!! If you have any questions about them, feel free to ask.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm sorry to hear about your first hatch and your chick that you lost :hugs My first ever attempt at incubating was a total bust too. But after lots of reading here I soon got the hang of it. I'm afraid as much as incubating and hatching is a great experience it also has its downsides with not all chicks making it.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks in the future. Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! Sorry to hear about the hatch problems and the little one that didn't make it. Hatching is a trial and error business, much error for some of us! My first attempt yielded about 5%! If you plan to set another clutch, do join our hatch-aholics over here, for some hatching chat and fun and company:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...t-meet-new-friends-w-host-sally-sunshine/0_30

Sally is awesome and they'd love to have you over there.

welcome-byc.gif

Aww, no fun having a bad first hatch. I've hatched for yrs. and still have some bad ones. I buy shipped eggs, so, that has a lot to do with how my hatch goes. Have learned the best parts of the country that works well for shipping to my area. Glad you had a better hatch the next time. Have fun with the babies. You will find great threads on how to incubate. There is always a thread that is hatching for the month at the time..should be one for June right now. :) You will be able to post photos after you have posted more.

Back
Top Bottom