New chicken mama

Hi Everyone and thank you for the replies. I’m happy to announce that my chicks tucked themselves in all on their own last night. No help needed. Now they hang out in the nesting boxes during the day.. good grief!! Is this behavior I’ll want to break? I’ve read so many articles that say don’t let them near nesting boxes until they are closer to the age for egg laying. But they seem so comfortable. It’s been very hot the last few days and even though their coop is well shaded it’s still warm. Maybe this is why they’ve been doing it? Thought?

Hello, Deana, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If your coop is elevated and there is a ramp the chicks need to be taught how to use the ramp. A dark coop is also less inviting to the chicks to enter at dusk than a coop with some light in it from windows.
Thanks for the tip. Last night my chicks made their way inside all on their own. Maybe they just needed time to acclimate to their new environment.... but I have heard a light in the coop is a good idea. I may try it ! Thanks again! 😊

Hi Everyone and thank you for the replies. I’m happy to announce that my chicks tucked themselves in all on their own last night. No help needed. Now they hang out in the nesting boxes during the day.. good grief!! Is this behavior I’ll want to break? I’ve read so many articles that say don’t let them near nesting boxes until they are closer to the age for egg laying. But they seem so comfortable. It’s been very hot the last few days and even though their coop is well shaded it’s still warm. Maybe this is why they’ve been doing it? Thought?
Block off the nest boxes. Open them back up when they look close to laying. Their combs will get red and they will squat when you reach down for them.
You don't want them in the habit of sleeping in the boxes or you'll have poopy eggs!

Hi! My name is a Deana and I just got chicks for the first time ever and I’m enjoying it. My chicks are 6 weeks old and they don’t roost yet. They don’t even go into their coop at night. I have to physically put them in there. Is this something they will eventually do on their own or do they need to be taught? I don’t have any older hens for them to learn from.

Put some treats in the coop in the evening. Make sure they see you do it. That’ll encourage them to go in and you can lock up

Block off the nest boxes. Open them back up when they look close to laying. Their combs will get red and they will squat when you reach down for them.
You don't want them in the habit of sleeping in the boxes or you'll have poopy eggs!
Thanks! We are blocking off the nesting boxes so they won't sleep in there. It's like raising kids.. LOL - one day at a time

Back
Top Bottom