New Chicken Mama

Kayella

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Hello! I live in coastal Texas and just got 5 chickies to raise. I've wanted to raise chickens for years, but never had a place to keep them. Well recently, someone at my stables built a chicken coop and said I could keep some there! So I of course ran to the feed store and grabbed some as soon as possible.

I've never raised chickens before. I raised turkeys for FFA years ago so I have some concept of raising birds, but I'm pretty lost on chickens LOL. So I'll definitely be asking a lot of questions as my girls grow and mature.

So these are my girls(at least I'm hoping they all are) here. I was told that, from left to right, they are Brahma, Silkie, EE, Brahma, and Production Red. Their names, from left to right, are Lucy, Foxy, Willow, Rue, and Ruby. :) Not very original, but whatever. My turkeys had names like Stan, Vern, and George so I guess I don't get too creative with birds.

I'm not really sure if Lucy is a Brahma or if Willow is an EE. They were both in a tub marked "Brahma, EE, Production Red" so I guess they're one of those three? Here is a better shot of Willow in the back, with Foxy in the front.

I don't have the best picture of Lucy at the moment. She is always all up in your business. The first day I brought them home, she kept trying to jump out the coop every time I opened the door. Well, I had to nail a board on the wall of the coop(the guy who built it doesn't know ANYTHING about chickens so left a giant hole coons or opossums could get through) from inside the coop since it was against the wall of our barn. And I couldn't do that and keep her in there! So I just stuck her on my shoulder while I hammered away and she chirped in my ear and nuzzled in my hair. She's only kinda my favorite haha. But here's the best picture I have of her right now.

Anyways, I guess that's enough about me for now. If y'all have any suspicions about what I was told they were is incorrect, please let me know! And I will definitely post pictures as the grow and mature. :) Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks guys! I'm in the middle of planning a run to add to their coop. I'd like to give them some space to roam outside the coop while they're not free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom