New chicken Mom in CT

ChickenHillFarm2021

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2021
Hello Everyone,
I am raising Rhode Island Reds in CT. I love my hens so much and make short videos of them for my staff. During COVID it has kept me and my staff sane. Sadly, I started with a flock of 8 but lost one to a fox, one to red shouldered hawk and one to fatty liver disease. This last one is tough. Over the winter they didn't get much exercise because of the large amount of snow. And I was probably over feeding them. I was sprouting barley for them and they got to the point of only eating the barley sprouts and fodder and not their feed. The vet thinks this was a perfect storm.

I am trying to make sure that the others don't die this way. Now that the weather is nice they can free range more. I have moved a desk outside so I can work and keep an eye on them. We certainly have our share of predators.

I could certainly use some advise on feed. I would like to make my own since my girls are now pretty fussy. But I want to make sure they are getting the nutrition they need. Any advice on this would be welcomed.

Hey! welcome to BYC! 🐓 thank you for your introduction, it's a pleasure to have you with us peeps. I am so very sorry for your losses :hugs

How old are your chickens?

If they're laying, I would personally use layer pellets as their regular feed aside from what they naturally forage, just to ensure they get all the nutrients they need to be healthy and laying.

I know there are lots more knowledgeable people here, some that have more experience in feed.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC :frowWe're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

Feed can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. I would suggest going to the Fertrell site and look at their recipes. You'll want to buy their nutribalancer and their fish or crab meal and likely Aragonite. btw, my only connection with them is as a customer.

Welcome to BYC! I’m so excited to see you joined! This wonderful community of poultry keepers and experts will be very happy to answer whatever questions you may have ☺️
2597B463-677F-4157-AC36-DFECF544032A.png

Back
Top Bottom